[comp.unix.internals] Installing Exobyte tape drive

sy13220@fmrco (Richard J. Niziak) (09/16/90)

I have been attempting to install a new exobyte tape drive on my system
and have been encountering a slight problem. When I try to access it,
I receive the following message: "device or address not found" I have
the correct entry in the kernel, created the correct devices using
MAKEDEV , even connected the SCSI cable and powered the unit on and
still nothing ??? Any ideas ????

Rick
uunet!fmrco!rickn
617 570-2614

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep16.155515.22113@fmrco> sy13220@fmrco (Richard J. Niziak) writes:
>I have been attempting to install a new exobyte tape drive on my system
>and have been encountering a slight problem. When I try to access it,
>I receive the following message: "device or address not found" I have
>the correct entry in the kernel, created the correct devices using
>MAKEDEV , even connected the SCSI cable and powered the unit on and
>still nothing ??? Any ideas ????

Well, just to check the obvious ones, I assume you copied your kernel to
/, and rebooted?

john@lintilla.dle.dg.com (John Farrell) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep16.155515.22113@fmrco> sy13220@fmrco (Richard J. Niziak) writes:
>I have been attempting to install a new exobyte tape drive on my system
>and have been encountering a slight problem. When I try to access it,
>I receive the following message: "device or address not found" I have

Under DG/UX you get this error if you try to write to a write-protected
Exabyte cartridge! Seems silly, but it might be worth checking.

John M. Farrell        | john@dle.dg.com
Data General           |
Development Lab Europe | /C=gb/ADMD=gold 400/PRMD=dgc/O=dle/SN=Farrell/GN=John
Cambridge, England     |