[comp.unix.internals] c.u.wizards vs. c.u.internals

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (09/04/90)

Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals.  All well and good.  My
question: is anyone doing the opposite?  Also, is anyone concerned that
others will refuse to use c.u.i because they find it inappropriate (or
believe that their unix source license prohibits them from posting to a
group called c.u.i)?
--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (09/04/90)

In article <34639@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
>Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
>comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals.  All well and good.  My
>question: is anyone doing the opposite?  Also, is anyone concerned that
>others will refuse to use c.u.i because they find it inappropriate (or
>believe that their unix source license prohibits them from posting to a
>group called c.u.i)?

How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
the name change really was a bad idea?
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/05/90)

[ Followups to news.groups ]

According to pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham):
>Is anyone concerned that others will refuse to use c.u.i because
>they find it inappropriate (or believe that their unix source
>license prohibits them from posting to a group called c.u.i)?

I don't think the newsgroup name will be a factor.  After all, if
people realize that comp.sources.unix isn't for proprietary UNIX[tm]
source code, then they should also realize that c.u.internals will
not be a vehicle for trade secret disclosure.

According to jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II):
>How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
>the name change really was a bad idea?

As for people who think c.u.internals was a bad idea, well, the group
passed its vote according to the guidelines.  Anyone who thinks it
should be renamed is free to run another vote.  I should hope that
administrators will carry c.u.internals in the meantime.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (09/06/90)

In article <26E4EC42.42AB@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II):
>>How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
>>the name change really was a bad idea?
>
>As for people who think c.u.internals was a bad idea, well, the group
>passed its vote according to the guidelines.  Anyone who thinks it
>should be renamed is free to run another vote.  I should hope that
>administrators will carry c.u.internals in the meantime.

Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
license prohibited him from doing so.  Since I don't have a copy
of the non-disclosure agreements I signed with AT&T and IBM, I
think I too will have to bow out.

This voting business is really beginning to look pretty silly.
What we really need is a good backbone cabal.

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (09/06/90)

In article <18533@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

>   Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
>   that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
>   license prohibited him from doing so.

What does the NAME of the newsgroup have to do with anything?

As I understand it, John and Doug can post Unix(TM) articles in a
newsgroup called comp.unix.spam, but can't legally post a SPAM recipe
to comp.unix.internals?

No-one said people are *required* to discuss proprietary info in
c.u.i. If your license prevents you from doing so, then don't post
anything proprietary. Hasn't this always been the case?

Am I missing something here?
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu (Frank Peters) (09/07/90)

In article <BARNETT.90Sep6125844@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

   In article <18533@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

   >   Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
   >   that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
   >   license prohibited him from doing so.

   What does the NAME of the newsgroup have to do with anything?

   As I understand it, John and Doug can post Unix(TM) articles in a
   newsgroup called comp.unix.spam, but can't legally post a SPAM recipe
   to comp.unix.internals?

   No-one said people are *required* to discuss proprietary info in
   c.u.i. If your license prevents you from doing so, then don't post
   anything proprietary. Hasn't this always been the case?

   Am I missing something here?

One of the terms of a UNIX source license is that the licensee agrees
not to discuss the internals of the UNIX operating system with
unlicensed individuals.

A posting to a group named comp.unix.internals could easily be viewed
as prima facie evidence of a violation of that agreement.

I can see Doug or John in court now:

     "Yes your honor I do participate regularly in a newsgroup named
      comp.unix.internals but I never discuss the internals of the
      UNIX operating system there!  HONEST!"

At least with comp.unix.wizards you'd have a reasable chance of
defending your case.

Regards,
FWP
Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1@CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1@MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (09/07/90)

From: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II)
>Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
>that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
>license prohibited him from doing so.  Since I don't have a copy
>of the non-disclosure agreements I signed with AT&T and IBM, I
>think I too will have to bow out.
>
>This voting business is really beginning to look pretty silly.
>What we really need is a good backbone cabal.

I tend to agree also.

What we need is something akin to a *constitution*, some set of basic
rules/rights which no vote can violate (except a vote to change the
constitution, which should be made difficult tho not impossible.)

There also might be room for "special interest" votes, where the
groups in question are recognized as being special interest enough
that somehow the voting should be limited to interested parties (think
of it like the difference between "state's rights" and "federal
rights", the inherent problem of California being allowed to vote on
how Wyoming spends their internal revenues, eg., I know, it happens,
again, just an analogy.)

One might, in this example, have compiled a list of contributors to
c.u.w (perhaps some other groups, c.u.q) and restricted the vote to
them.

The fear being, members of another special interest "stuffing the
ballot boxes" in a destructive way, perhaps not even totally
maliciously, just misguided. Or even maliciously, or so
self-interested as to make a mockery of the process (some large
company voting against the creation of a group for a small competitor,
e.g.)

I think we are quite vulnerable to all these problems.

I'd sum up at least some of these particular voting results to
be:

	A group which was created to allow experts to chit-chat
	amongst themselves has now been re-structured with the
	hidden agenda to try to turn them into free consultants.

One should be able to see the conflict of interest here, the vast
majority would of course vote to "enslave" (again, I exaggerate) the
relatively few experts. Why not?

Why was it important at all to remove c.u.w? Why not just create some
magnet groups so wizards can have some peace to speak about relatively
wizardly matters? Was it to make sure that wizards had nowhere else to
go???
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (09/07/90)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

|Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
|that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
|license prohibited him from doing so.  Since I don't have a copy
|of the non-disclosure agreements I signed with AT&T and IBM, I
|think I too will have to bow out.

are you saying that although you know that the group is intended to replace
unix.wizards you won't post because the name changed?  even though you
could post before.  this stuff about licenses is bogus.

|This voting business is really beginning to look pretty silly.
|What we really need is a good backbone cabal.

right.
--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (09/07/90)

In article <BARNETT.90Sep6125844@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>No-one said people are *required* to discuss proprietary info in
>c.u.i. If your license prevents you from doing so, then don't post
>anything proprietary. Hasn't this always been the case?

since the group name is "comp.unix.internals" some idiot might
get the notion that what i am posting is "unix internals".  i
didn't say it was a correct notion, merely that some idiot
might get that notion, and since i have signed non-disclosure
agreements which would prevent me from otherwise posting "unix
internals", i don't see i can post much of anything related to
"unix internals" unless i say "gee, this isn't really unix
internals" even though it smells just the same as it did before
the group was "unix internals" and was just as "unproprietary"
as before.

this is the same reason i have abstained from posting to
comp.sources.unix for the last 16 months.  i don't want some
idiot thinking that what i am posting is "unix sources" when
it is really "john's sources".  postings i make to alt.sources
are always very explicit about the lineage of the code for
exactly that reason.  i'd rather not have to give complete
bibliographical data for every thought that i post to this
group.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (09/07/90)

In article <1053@lot.ACA.MCC.COM> ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) writes:
)I see the point that Doug and John have made concerning the name of
)the group.  But I fail to see anything but a sematics problem here.
)
)Saying one "can't" take part in a group because of the name of the group
)is incorrect.  Saying one CHOOSES NOT to participate for fear of being
)accused of doing something incorrect because the accuser make an assumption
)based only on the name of the group is another matter.  This is sad for all
)concerned (the person who no longer participates as well as the rest of
)us for losing their insight), but at least it's a fair reason.

In a sense, your statement above is also based on semantics. But so be it.
If Doug and John were self-employed, with the UNIX source licence in their
own names, it would be their choice whether they take that risk. Since
both of them are employees, their respective employers presumably have
something to do with their inability to participate in a c.u.i
newsgroup, and they are justified in saying they "can't" participate.

In view of the recent S.S. investigation of "hackers", and the excesses
to which gov't investigators and prosecutors went in that context, the
name of the newsgroup is NOT a matter of mere semantics.

Unless one can clearly prove that the content of the newsgroup does
not bear out an unfavorable interpretation (i.e. in the case of
comp.sources.unix, all one need do is talk to the moderator), it seems
not too wise to name a newsgroup after something that is
specifically excluded from discussion by the UNIX license. If my
licence prohibits me from discussing UNIX internals, and I participate
in a newsgroup called comp.unix.internals, only the most well-meaning
investigator or prosecutor would believe that I am not violating
my licence.

--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/07/90)

In article <BZS.90Sep6153550@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

}Why was it important at all to remove c.u.w? Why not just create some
}magnet groups so wizards can have some peace to speak about relatively
}wizardly matters? Was it to make sure that wizards had nowhere else to

Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

Personally I thought it was a shame to rename wizards. Sort or like renaming
the main street in your town. You loose some of your heritage. Things don't
always have to be perfect (in this case a perfectly concise and rational
naming scheme for comp.unix). Sometimes its ok keep things around just so we
know where we've been.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)

In article <35064@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
>are you saying that although you know that the group is intended to replace
>unix.wizards you won't post because the name changed?  even though you
>could post before.  this stuff about licenses is bogus.

that's correct.  the name "comp.unix.internals" is too suggestive
of "unix internals".

>|This voting business is really beginning to look pretty silly.
>|What we really need is a good backbone cabal.
>
>right.

yes.  i am beginning to think someone needs to reintroduce the
"net" and "mod" groups and get back to the usenet some of us used
to know and love.

i think the first group to create is "net.wizards".
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/07/90)

(In this article, I suggest renaming c.u.internals to c.u.esoterica.
Please read the entire article before commenting on it.  Followups to
news.groups.)

During all the discussion of the comp.unix.* reorganization, people
spoke up for and against renaming c.u.wizards.  But no one ever
suggested that the name "c.u.internals" could cause LEGAL difficulty.

The idea seems ridiculous to me.  But then, who ever said the law
couldn't be ridiculous?  From what I've read, the word "internals" is
specifically mentioned in the AT&T source license.  So people who have
read the source code are hesitant to post anything to a newsgroup with
the word "internals" in the name.  Sigh.

So I think it's time to rename the group again.  As I recall, the best
alternative name proposed during the discussion was "c.u.esoterica".
At the time, I considered this name to be too vague; but it looks like
the best choice right now.

Someone (I) could run a vote on the renaming of c.u.internals to
c.u.esoterica.  But that would take a month for the discussion
(again!) and three weeks for the vote (again!).

However, since the discussion period has already run for the c.u.*
reorganization, and c.u.esoterica resulted from that discussion,
perhaps we could skip the discussion phase and go straight to a vote.

Furthermore, due to the legal repercussions of the current name, we
could just rename c.u.internals to c.u.esoterica immediately.

If anyone objects strongly to a bending of the guidelines here, please
let yourself be heard.  I don't want this group's propagation to be
fragmented because of administrator resentment.  I'm listening.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

asherman@dino.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) (09/08/90)

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

   In <BARNETT.90Sep6125844@grymoire.crd.ge.com>
   barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

   >>   Well, I'm tending to agree with Doug Gwyn.  Doug's statement was
   >>   that he wouldn't be able to discuss UNIX internals because his
   >>   license prohibited him from doing so.
   >
   >What does the NAME of the newsgroup have to do with anything?
   >
   >As I understand it, John and Doug can post Unix(TM) articles in a
   >newsgroup called comp.unix.spam, but can't legally post a SPAM recipe
   >to comp.unix.internals?
   >
   >No-one said people are *required* to discuss proprietary info in
   >c.u.i. If your license prevents you from doing so, then don't post
   >anything proprietary. Hasn't this always been the case?
   >
   >Am I missing something here?

   No, Bruce, you aren't missing anything, except perhaps the view of the
   pouting faces of Doug Gwyn and John Haugh, III.  They are (apparently)
   quite miffed that "their" newsgroup was renamed under their noses.

   [...]

   No, the only thing preventing them from continuing to discuss whatever
   they were discussing before the group was renamed is a lot of ego.  Its
   too bad that some of the most erudite contributors to c.u.wizards are
   going to let their inflated sense of self-importance lead them to think
   that they can abridge the consensus to the net by picking up their ball
   and going home.  It looks more like they are going out into the yard to
   eat "worms".

Hmmm... I think that this is getting a little out of hand. I like the idea
of a group as broad in scope as comp.unix.wizards being broken up into
several groups. But the name "internals" does suggest discussion of that
which some of us have signed agreements not to discuss. Thus I suggest
that someone start a vote to change the name to something like "technical".
It's too bad that "wizards" was too broad, as it tended to keep the
l^Huser questions out (sometimes :), and managed not to sound like we
were giving away internal secrets.

No matter what we do, lets keep flames like the above out of it.

			-AJS

--
asherman@dino.ulowell.edu	or	asherman%cpe@swan.ulowell.edu
Note that as of 7/18/90 that's asherman@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu

In article <1747@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (09/08/90)

In article <BARNETT.90Sep6125844@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com
writes:
]What does the NAME of the newsgroup have to do with [posting to it]?
]
]As I understand it, John and Doug can post Unix(TM) articles in a
]newsgroup called comp.unix.spam, but can't legally post a SPAM recipe
]to comp.unix.internals?
[...]
]Am I missing something here?

Old Chinese saying say: `Do not bend to fasten shoelaces while walking in
neighbor's melon field'

SR
---

rli@buster.irby.com (Buster Irby) (09/08/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <1747@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

>I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
>nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

Sounds like sour grapes to me Peter!  While you are at it, why don't you
create alt.unix.sco also?  I hear there are a lot of  people who would
like it also!!   :-(

For those unable to detect it, this was a sarcastic posting!  I am
definitely against taking an end run position here.
--
Buster Irby  buster!rli

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (09/09/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
|I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
|nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

it doesn't seem wise.  someone might get in trouble for posting to an
alternate reality/pseudo-underground/anarchistic network and wind up
getting sued and losing their source license.

i know i'd worry about it.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (09/09/90)

In article <4YQ5MLG@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?
>
>I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
>nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

Huh?   I know that some people morn the loss of the old name, but the group
still exists under its new name of comp.unix.internals.   Why on earth
should we need a new alt group to 'shadow' an existing comp group?   It makes
sense to introduce an Altnet group for a new subject that may later migrate
to the Usenet, or for a subject that the main Usenet will not carry, but
not for a subject that is already as well supported as comp.unix.

Regards,      David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or>  ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww <or>  PSI%234237100122::DWW
Usenet works on the principle that 10,000 people know more about the answer to
any question than one does.  Unfortunately they know 10,000 different answers.

wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) (09/09/90)

	Er, I don't suppose anyone thought of asking AT&T legal department
if they have any problem with the name of the group?  As I understand it,
there is an 800 number for source licensees to contact if they have any
questions regarding their agreement.  Not having a source license, I don't
have the number handy.  Rather than relying on net.hysteria, how about a
slightly more logical approach to the problem?

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---     TMC & Associates      --- wayne@teemc.tmc.mi.org
         Operator of the only 240 Horsepower UNIX machine in Michigan

karl@MorningStar.Com (Karl Fox) (09/09/90)

writes:

   Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

Actually, it should probably be alt.unix.spam.

:-)
--
"I hear you guys deal with such dreck  |  Karl Fox, Morning Star Technologies
as SNA and X.25."       -Ed Vielmetti  |  karl@MorningStar.Com

asherman@dino.ulowell.edu (Aaron Sherman) (09/09/90)

rli@buster.irby.com (Buster Irby) writes:

   >sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
   >> Is it time for alt.unix.wizards?

   >I'll create an alt.unix.wizards in a couple of days unless I get lots of
   >nasty email. There are clearly a lot of people who want something like it.

   Sounds like sour grapes to me Peter!  While you are at it, why don't you
   create alt.unix.sco also?  I hear there are a lot of  people who would
   like it also!!   :-(

Why not. If people want a newsgroup, and the net officially votes against
it, then alt is a great place for it. I'm for the alt group (with hopes of
both comp.unix.wizards AND comp.unix.internals existing one day).

I think that people will find more intelligent conversation in wizards if
there is a group with a slightly more descriptive name to draw the fire of
those who are new to the net. Not that they should not be listened to, just
that I like to listen to something ELSE every now and then :)

			-AJS

--

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (09/10/90)

In article <26E7C052.73E@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>If anyone objects strongly to a bending of the guidelines here, please
>let yourself be heard.  I don't want this group's propagation to be
>fragmented because of administrator resentment.  I'm listening.

... the name "comp.unix.wizards".  it has such a nice
ring to it.

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/10/90)

In article <18539@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <26E7C052.73E@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>>If anyone objects strongly to a bending of the guidelines here, please
>>let yourself be heard.  I don't want this group's propagation to be
>>fragmented because of administrator resentment.  I'm listening.

>... the name "comp.unix.wizards".  it has such a nice
>ring to it.

I don't know, given that most of what I've seen in this group in the last
couple of days have been 20 to 30 repetitive followups on how to recover
the root password, not only is "wizards" not the word that comes to mind,
but "internals" seems equally inappropriate. How about comp.unix.metoo :-}!

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are mine not my employer's.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (09/11/90)

In article <18530@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
#In article <34639@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
#>Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
#>comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals ... is anyone doing the opposite?
#
#How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
#the name change really was a bad idea?

Count me for one.   I didn't bother with the original vote as I thought the
real UNIX wizards on the net could quite well look after themselves, and
when the result came out I followed it like a good news admin should
(though I hadn't removed c.u.wizards).   But it now seems clear we've made
a collective mistake.   Quite apart from the legal arguement (which I don't
buy - but I'm not a lawyer), the sort of things discussed in c.u.wizards
cover far more than just 'internals'.  In fact on my recent reading of the
group there's very little about the internals of UNIX, if that means kernal
stuff, and still under half if you include the file system etc.

The only solution, I think, is another vote.  Who will do a formal CALL?
Pending the result, lets leave both groups in place, with no aliasing.

BTW, I've cross-posted this to c.u.wizards.  If you see it in c.u.internals
its been aliased.

Regards,          "None shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity"
        David Wright             STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk  <or> ...uunet!mcsun!ukc!stl!dww  <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW
<or> /g=David/s=Wright/org=STC Technology Ltd/prmd=STC plc/admd=Gold 400/co=GB

wsinpdb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (09/11/90)

In article <3370@stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
>... Quite apart from the legal arguement (which I don't
>buy - but I'm not a lawyer), the sort of things discussed in c.u.wizards
>cover far more than just 'internals'.  In fact on my recent reading of the
>group there's very little about the internals of UNIX, if that means kernal
>stuff, and still under half if you include the file system etc.

The whole issue went right by me as well, mostly because I was on vacation.
But judging from the level of postings in c.u.wizards, the name 'wizards'
didn't seem very appropriate to me anyway.

I disagree that c.u.wizards was not discussing unix internals.
Unix is more than a kernel and a file system.
There are many questions about shell programming, awk, C, and other
Unix goodies. Given a system not running a Unix kernel (Mach for instance)
but with all Unix utilities, I would still perceive that as a Unix system.
However, take the shell (or other major utilities) away from a real Unix
system, and I would no longer perceive it as a Unix system.

c.u.wizards was and c.u.internals is about the internals of the whole
Unix system, which is not just the kernel, but also the standard utilities.

Anyway, c.u.wizards or c.u.internals is not for discussions of
c.u.wizards versus c.u.internals. Can we please go back to discussing
Unix, PLEASE???

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/12/90)

In article <3370@stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
}#How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
}#the name change really was a bad idea?

}Count me for one.   I didn't bother with the original vote as I thought the

}The only solution, I think, is another vote.  Who will do a formal CALL?
}Pending the result, lets leave both groups in place, with no aliasing.

Until another vote is called on this subject van-bc will carry
comp.unix.internals without removing or aliasing comp.unix.wizards.

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca

ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward) (09/12/90)

In article <887@iiasa.UUCP>, wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) writes:
> In article <1053@lot.ACA.MCC.COM> ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) writes:
> )I see the point that Doug and John have made concerning the name

Like many working contributors to comp.unix.wizards, my time available for
news of any kind varies inversely with my workload.  However, comp.unix.wizards
has always been one of the top two groups on my list.  I was surprized to
see that the name had been changed.  I was disappointed with the replacement.

There is a need for a two-level hierarchy of groups for UNIX questions/
problems/observations:  one for novices and general population, and a
higher-level group for those self-assured of their experience and competence.
The former was supplied by c.u.questions and the latter, admirably, I
thought, by c.u.wizards.  The name "wizards" was sufficiently intimidating
to keep novice posting to a minimum, while not limiting the discussions
to "internals."  ( How might one know when a problem is caused by "internals"
or by something else?  You may have only a problem unanswered in c.u.q,
and no clue whatever. )

I have seen no discussion in this group about changing the name.  I have
not seen any notice in this group of a proposed name change.  There may
have been notice given in the frequently asked questions stuff; I almost
never read that:  I have no need to reread answers to questions I would
not ask.  At any rate, I highly resent having the name changed, and then
finding out about it after the fact with no opportunity to contribute to
the discussion.  My resentment is heightened by the apparent stupidity
of the change.

I for one would support another round of discussion and another vote
to change the name back; this time informing all those involved.  If
you want to add a group strictly for internals, do so.  Don't destroy
one of the most useful and informative groups on the net.

PS.  I noted in this thread some flames directed toward Doug Gwyn and
others who do not feel they can continue to post to this new group.
Yes, Doug -- as I, and some others who post to this group -- is occasionally
gruff or short in his postings.  Just the other day I read in c.u.q
a posting by some tyro that should have been in lang.c, who did not
even know the difference between a strcpy() to an uninitialized pointer
as opposed to an array of char.  I barely suppressed the urge to "RTFM"
with a correct follow-up, and continued on.  I came upon a very long,
patient, and detailed answer to what I had regarded as an annoyingly
ignorant posting:  by Doug Gwyn.  I was struck that someone prominent
enough to receive a kudo from K&R in their 2d Edition would take that
much effort to answer so elementary a question.  I saved Doug's
answer in a file named "humblepie," and adjusted my attitude (again).
I would suggest that the flamers re-assess their own attitudes;
changes to the newsgroup that drive away very valuable contributors
and that offer nothing in compensation are very likely changes for the
worse.

Ray Ward                                          Email:  uunet!ctbilbo!ray
Voice:  (214) 991-8338x226, (800) 331-7032        Fax  :  (214) 991-8968
=-=-=-=-  There _are_ simple answers, just no _easy_ ones. -- R.R. -=-=-=-=

willr@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Will Raymond) (09/12/90)

> >This voting business is really beginning to look pretty silly.
> >What we really need is a good backbone cabal.

> I tend to agree also.
>
> 	A group which was created to allow experts to chit-chat
> 	amongst themselves has now been re-structured with the
> 	hidden agenda to try to turn them into free consultants.

	After seeing that the vote was announced in CAPS I can't see where
	I can't complain that I didn't see it ( oh...BTW,I didn't see it )
	but it really doesn't matter.

	As a consumer/producer of the Usenet, I'll follow general economic
	principles and put my money where my mouth is and, exclusively, continue
	to peruse and respond to questions posted in WIZARDS.

	But, not to miss out on anything, I'll probabally due a weekly batch
	scan of internals.

    *******       Will Raymond - Northern Telecom NTP in RTP
|  | ~   ~ |  |
   . O   o .      Work: ...uucp!rti!ntpdvp1!willr
|     .V.     |   Fun:  ...uucp!cs.unc.edu!raymond
     ._ _.
|      U      |   I speak for myself.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/12/90)

[ Followups to news.groups. ]

According to ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward):
>The name "wizards" was sufficiently intimidating to keep novice
>posting to a minimum ...

I must have been reading a different group from Mr. Ward.  I found the
newbie-magnet effect in c.u.wizards irritatingly pronounced.

>I highly resent having the name changed, and then finding out about
>it after the fact with no opportunity to contribute to the discussion.

I cross-posted the Call For Discussion and the Call For Votes to
comp.unix.wizards and news.announce.newgroups.  The very reason that
that news.announce.newgroups exists is to warn users of proposed and
ongoing newsgroup creation votes.  I've said it before, and I'll say
it again:

  Anyone who doesn't read news.announce.newgroups had better
  enjoy surprises.

It is apparent that Mr. Ward didn't take the time to read n.a.n, which
is of course his privilege.  But it's disingenuous for anyone who
doesn't read n.a.n to complain about not having seen its contents.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>

tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) (09/13/90)

In message <1857@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca>, sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne)
writes:

> Until another vote is called on this subject van-bc will carry
> comp.unix.internals without removing or aliasing comp.unix.wizards.

That's just what I'm doing here.  Maybe because of the harsh lessons from
the climate up here, we Canadians have learned not to tear down bridges until
the new ones are proven.

I think the smart thing to do at this time is to undo the c.u.w rmgroup and
let this thing ride for the rest of the year.  It's just possible that the
new c.u.* groups will soak up much of the stuff that was overloading c.u.w.
Internals is a valid but separate topic from wizards anyway.  Can't I be
a unix wizard on an externals topic?

On the other hand, we could try c.u.necromancer ;-).

--
Yours etc., Tony Olekshy.               Internet: tony%oha@CS.UAlberta.CA
					  BITNET: tony%oha.uucp@UALTAMTS.BITNET

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (09/13/90)

In article <121@ctbilbo.UUCP> ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward) writes:
]
]There is a need for a two-level hierarchy of groups for UNIX questions/
]problems/observations:  one for novices and general population, and a
]higher-level group for those self-assured of their experience and competence.
]The former was supplied by c.u.questions and the latter, admirably, I
]thought, by c.u.wizards.  The name "wizards" was sufficiently intimidating
]to keep novice posting to a minimum, while not limiting the discussions
]to "internals."

On the other hand how many times haven't we had novices posting novice
questions to c.u.w because they figure the wizards ought to know how to
help them?  I believe the intent of the renaming was to avoid just that
problem.
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Surrey, British Columbia      BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)576-1214, login as Guest

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (09/13/90)

In article <1857@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
|In article <3370@stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
|}#How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
|}#the name change really was a bad idea?
|
|}Count me for one.   I didn't bother with the original vote as I thought the
|
|}The only solution, I think, is another vote.  Who will do a formal CALL?
|}Pending the result, lets leave both groups in place, with no aliasing.
|
|Until another vote is called on this subject van-bc will carry
|comp.unix.internals without removing or aliasing comp.unix.wizards.

	System becker, on the other hand, will alias
	comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals.

	Since this is a B news site, outgoing articles
	will all be sent as newsgroup comp.unix.internals.

	If another vote revises this requirement, then
	so be it...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) (09/14/90)

In article <450@oha.UUCP> tony@oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:
>I think the smart thing to do at this time is to undo the c.u.w rmgroup and
>let this thing ride for the rest of the year.  It's just possible that the
>new c.u.* groups will soak up much of the stuff that was overloading c.u.w.
>Internals is a valid but separate topic from wizards anyway.  Can't I be
>a unix wizard on an externals topic?

I've been thinking about unaliasing c.u.wizards here.  It seems to me
that c.u.wizards - (c.u.admin + c.u.internals + c.u.programmer) is probably
just noise, so I could unsubscribe to c.u.wizards and increase the
signal to noise ratio of what I read.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del@mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028

ted@stb.info.com (Theodore Thomas Garrett) (09/14/90)

In article <3370@stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
>In article <18530@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>#In article <34639@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
>#>Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
>#>comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals ... is anyone doing the opposite?
>#
>#How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
>#the name change really was a bad idea?
>
>Count me for one.   I didn't bother with the original vote as I thought the
>real UNIX wizards on the net could quite well look after themselves, and
>when the result came out I followed it like a good news admin should
>(though I hadn't removed c.u.wizards).   But it now seems clear we've made
>a collective mistake.   Quite apart from the legal arguement (which I don't
>buy - but I'm not a lawyer), the sort of things discussed in c.u.wizards
>cover far more than just 'internals'.  In fact on my recent reading of the
>group there's very little about the internals of UNIX, if that means kernal
>stuff, and still under half if you include the file system etc.
>
>The only solution, I think, is another vote.  Who will do a formal CALL?
>Pending the result, lets leave both groups in place, with no aliasing.

If there need be a formal call for votes, I so issue it.
c.u.w. needs to co-exist with, if not predispose of c.u.i.

I hereby call for votes on re-instating comp.unix.wizards.

In article <1990Sep14.010840.26683@mlb.semi.harris.com> del@thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com (Don Lewis) writes:

| I've been thinking about unaliasing c.u.wizards here.  It seems to me
| that c.u.wizards - (c.u.admin + c.u.internals + c.u.programmer) is probably
| just noise, so I could unsubscribe to c.u.wizards and increase the
| signal to noise ratio of what I read.

  The question is, is the alias installed on major sites like uunet? If
they are doing the alias very little will get through.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) (09/15/90)

In article <3370@stl.stc.co.uk>, dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) writes:
%In article <18530@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
%#In article <34639@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) writes:
%#}Based upon the mishmash arriving at my site some peope are aliasing
%#}comp.unix.wizards to comp.unix.internals ... is anyone doing the opposite?
%#
%#How about people who've un-aliased the group after being convinced
%#the name change really was a bad idea?
%
% Count me for one.

And Me too!

Disclaimer: My humble opinions may not reflect my computer's ones.

luke.
-
--
  _ _           __             Via Aleardo Aleardi, 12 - 20154 Milano (Italy)
______________________________ Software & Services for Advertising & Marketing

paul@unhtel.uucp (Paul S. Sawyer) (09/19/90)

In article <121@ctbilbo.UUCP> ray@ctbilbo.UUCP (Ray Ward) writes:

>Like many working contributors to comp.unix.wizards, my time available for
>news of any kind varies inversely with my workload.  However, comp.unix.wizards
>has always been one of the top two groups on my list.  I was surprized to
>see that the name had been changed.  I was disappointed with the replacement.

>I for one would support another round of discussion and another vote
>to change the name back; this time informing all those involved.  If
>you want to add a group strictly for internals, do so.  Don't destroy
>one of the most useful and informative groups on the net.

I agree: let's keep wizards for wizards!  And wizard watchers! (like me!  B-)

--
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer@UNHH.BITNET