[comp.unix.internals] PLEXUS P/35 help wanted

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/04/90)

Hi.  I am about to acquire a PLEXUS P/35 68000 based UNIX box running
Sys V.2 (yech, I know 8-).  I have several questions.

1:  Can I get something akin to DNET to compile on this beast?
2:  Can I get an ethernet board for it?
3:  It has 8 serial ports, so I'm hoping to get SLIP on it.
4:  Any other info anybody may have about this box.
5:  Can SLIP run on it?
6:  Any way of adding sockets?
7:  Anybody got a cheap big SCSI or SMD drives to sell?
8:  Easy and cheap way to move up from V.2?
9:  Any other interesting info, please?

I know that DNET won't compile since V.2 doesn't have sockets.

			Thanks, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin		| Drinking a pan-galactic gargle blaster is
536 South Forest	| like being struck over the head by a large
Apartment 915		| brick of gold with a lemon wrapped around it.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|		- Zaphod Beeblebrox
(313) 662-4805

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct3.185000.19684@zip.eecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Hi.  I am about to acquire a PLEXUS P/35 68000 based UNIX box running
>Sys V.2 (yech, I know 8-).  I have several questions.

My condolences.

>2:  Can I get an ethernet board for it?

Yes, Excellan (I think it was them) made a board.  I had one on
the P/95 and P/55 I used to work on.  It even worked ;-)

>5:  Can SLIP run on it?

I don't recall if the IP code could handle multiple interfaces.

>6:  Any way of adding sockets?

Yes, get the software from Excellan.

>8:  Easy and cheap way to move up from V.2?

Not the last time I heard.  My understanding as of last year was
that Motorola wanted everyone to switch to Motorola products.

>9:  Any other interesting info, please?

Yeh, what are you bothering with a P/35 for???  An unupgraded
P/35 is good for about 8 users, tops, provided you have all of
the memory (4MB) it can handle.  A P/55 might be good for 16
users.  Make sure you buy a spare machine or two.  Buy extra
air conditioning and sound baffles.  Get a second job.  Buy a
used 386/PC instead.

>I know that DNET won't compile since V.2 doesn't have sockets.

If you get the EXOS stuff from Plexus (or whoever, contact your
local Plexus or Motorola support body) you will get sockets with
it.  That should answer your original question about getting
something like DNET to compile.  Good luck, I suggested my former
employer sell their Plexus equipment while it was still worth
something.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson