[comp.unix.internals] recovery lost directories/files

tonysena@sun.com (Giuseppe Sena) (09/26/90)

     We have a SUN 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.3 and a 300Mb disk drive. Today we lost a directory with very important and confidential files. We cannot access this files and don't  have a backup (we try 'fschk' and 'format/repair'). We want to know if it's possible to recovery this files or if exist some program to do this (like PC Tools or Norton Utilities in DOS).

          Thank you in Advance.

     INTEVEP
     Jose M. Correia	E-mail: emsca!intevep!josem@sun.com
     Tony Sena                  emsca!intevep!tonysena@sun.com

     Fax: 0058-2-908-6447
		     6448

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (09/26/90)

In article <24603@adm.BRL.MIL> emsca!intevep!milan!tonysena@sun.com (Giuseppe Sena) writes:

>     We have a SUN 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.3 and a 300Mb disk drive. Today we
>lost a directory with very important and confidential files.

	Can't you restore it from your backup tapes ?

mjr.

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Sep26.134004.15516@decuac.dec.com>, mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
> In article <24603@adm.BRL.MIL> emsca!intevep!milan!tonysena@sun.com (Giuseppe Sena) writes:
> >
> >     We have a SUN 3/60 with SunOS 4.0.3 and a 300Mb disk drive. Today we
> >lost a directory with very important and confidential files.
>
> 	Can't you restore it from your backup tapes ?
>
> mjr.

He said they had no backups in his posting.

This may help you.  The answer to your question is yes there is a way
to get your files and directories back.  The inode table should
have been updated as little as possible since the time of loss.
THe sa,me goes for data block allocation from the free list for new
files.

Instead of going through the issues involved here, or telling you to
use the much complicated, but not highly available fsdb (File system
debugger), there is an article in the October 1990 _UNIX REVIEW_
magazine which talks about file recovery complete with C code.

Mark J. DeFilippis

--

UUCP: uunet!adelphi!promark!mark