[comp.unix.internals] Faster Real-Time Programming Possible?

desilets@ra.src.umd.edu (Mark Edward Desilets) (10/03/90)

Dear Unixpersons,

	First of all, if any of these forums (fora?) are inappropriate
	for my query, then I apologize in advance.

	Next, my question:
	I am writing a real-time control program to record sensor measurements
	and servo a robotic hand.  I have been using the interval timer for
	scheduling events.  Is there any (probably system dependent) way to
	schedule events more frequently than once every 10 milliseconds?  For
	context, I am working on a HP 9000 Series 800 machine...  I don't mind
	writing my own real-time routine to monitor the machine's hardware
	clock, if that is possible.  So if any of you have experience doing
	this, or even if you don't but desire to opine, please commence.

	BTW, e-mail would be preferred, but I shall surely be attuned to these
	frequencies for the next several days.

							Thanks,

								Mark

jkimble@bally.Bally.COM (The Programmer Guy) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct3.160636.28757@ra.src.umd.edu> desilets@ra.src.umd.edu (Mark Edward Desilets) writes:
>Dear Unixpersons,
>
>	First of all, if any of these forums (fora?) are inappropriate
>	for my query, then I apologize in advance.

Don't be silly.  Since the reorganization of the comp.unix.* groups,
standard operating procedure is to cross-post to every available
question/answer group on The Net.  This creates the effect of one
"virtual" group which is sorta like virtual memory and we all know
that's part of UNIX internals so it's correct to post to
comp.unix.internals.  And since any UNIX programmer worth his salt (see
crypt()) knows about virtual anything, the article *must* find its way
to comp.unix.programmer.  :-) :-)

The comp.unix.* reorg has about the same effect as building everything
in /etc, /bin, and /usr/bin into the kernel and then pinning the SOB.

Sorry, Mark.  I don't mean this to be a flame at you because your
article has enough merit to belong in the groups you've selected
(seriously).  I'm really flaming The Institution for what this
wonderful reorganization has done the net.

--
--Jim Kimble,						jkimble@bally.bally.com
Consulting for Bally Systems				  uunet!bally!jkimble

"ALPO is 99 cents a can.  That's over SEVEN dog dollars!!"