[comp.unix.internals] login command

vilva@csvax.csc.lsu.edu (Vilva Natarajan) (10/23/90)

I have a single statement in a shell script. It say's "login".
So when the shell script is evoked it gives a login prompt. Any person
can logon then and logoff. After he has logged off I return to my
id but a who or finger still shows the other person's name rather than mine.
Why does this happen?

vilva@csvax.csc.lsu.edu

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (10/23/90)

In article <24830@adm.BRL.MIL> vilva@csvax.csc.lsu.edu (Vilva Natarajan) writes:

>I have a single statement in a shell script. It say's "login".
>So when the shell script is evoked it gives a login prompt. Any person
>can logon then and logoff. After he has logged off I return to my
>id but a who or finger still shows the other person's name rather than mine.
>Why does this happen?

Because login(1) writes the new user to the utmp file, but
logout doesn't restore you.  utmp(5) is organized by tty, btw.

				--Blair
				  "See also:  login(1), finger(1), utmp(5)"