[comp.unix.internals] fd limit

pen@lysator.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) (10/19/90)

We have a small problem here with our Sequent Dynix 2.1.1 (4.2BSD Unix) OS, in
that there is a limit of max 20 files open concurrently per process. This is
a much too small number. I've tried to find a place in the configuration
files were I could change this number, but alas has found none. So, now I'm
thinking of patching the object library (that is used to build the Dynix
kernel) - if I only knew which object file to look in. Any suggestions?
--
Peter Eriksson                                              pen@lysator.liu.se
Lysator Computer Club                             ...!uunet!lysator.liu.se!pen

sethu@informix.com (M Sethurathnam) (10/25/90)

In article <365@lysator.liu.se> pen@lysator.liu.se (Peter Eriksson) writes:
>We have a small problem here with our Sequent Dynix 2.1.1 (4.2BSD Unix) OS, in
>that there is a limit of max 20 files open concurrently per process. This is
>a much too small number. I've tried to find a place in the configuration
>files were I could change this number, but alas has found none. So, now I'm
>thinking of patching the object library (that is used to build the Dynix
>kernel) - if I only knew which object file to look in. Any suggestions?
>--
>Peter Eriksson                                              pen@lysator.liu.se
>Lysator Computer Club                             ...!uunet!lysator.liu.se!pen
>University of Linkoping, Sweden                               "Seize the day!"

You can reconfigure the kernel by setting MAXNOFILE to any value. However,
this alone will not help. The program has to use setdtablesize(n) (n=nofiles)
call to use more than 20 file descriptors.

sethu