[comp.unix.internals] Korne Shell help needed!

ARCARDW%INDSVAX1.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu (DUDE OF TIME) (10/26/90)

 I have ksh (korne shell) for our UNIX (Dynix System).

 The problem I am having is:

 I want to do: alias jove='jove (MYFILE); echo "ESCAPE_CODES_FOR_KEYPAD_ON"'

  so when I use jove (emacs editor) I can do:

   jove main.c

...after done using jove I want to echo: ESCAPE_CODES_FOR_KEYPAD_ON

yes, if anyone wants the vt100 codes and the script to setup the
keypad and arrow keys for KSH I will be glad to give it to you.

thanks wizards!

Paul.

rob@b15.INGR.COM (Rob Lemley) (10/26/90)

In <24857@adm.BRL.MIL> ARCARDW%INDSVAX1.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu (DUDE OF TIME) writes:

> I have ksh (korne shell) for our UNIX (Dynix System).
> I want to do: alias jove='jove (MYFILE); echo "ESCAPE_CODES_FOR_KEYPAD_ON"'
>  so when I use jove (emacs editor) I can do:
>   jove main.c
>...after done using jove I want to echo: ESCAPE_CODES_FOR_KEYPAD_ON
>Paul.

Korn has no 'e' at the end.  Not only can Paul not spell, I don't think
he can read.  What does this have to do with Unix Internals? This question
has been answered MANY times in comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.shell.
One more time, here is the answer:

Use a shell function (this will work with korn shell as well as later borne
shells):

	jove()
	{
		/usr/bin/jove ${1+"$@"}
		echo "ESCAPE_CODES_FOR_KEYPAD_ON"
	}

-Rob
--
Rob Lemley
System Consultant, Scanning Software, Intergraph, Huntsville, AL