[comp.unix.internals] Problems with July 90 release of RISC6000

jsg@basecamp.UUCP (JS Goldlin) (11/12/90)

I am running the original golden release (july '90) on the RISC6000 &
experiencing numerous problems:

	1) First and foremost is a system crash with the message "Data
	   Storage Proc - Interrupt" when X is running along with a data
	   communications product.  Anybody else having problems running other
	   products with X?
	2) Occasionally, a shell command will just hang on accessing
	   a particularly directory.  When I go to another window & do a ps,
	   I can see the command sitting on a particular WCHAN code.  If I do
	   any other access to this directory, that process also hangs with
	   the same WCHAN code.  Everything else continues to run fine.  The
	   only way I have found to clear this condition is to reboot the
	   machine.
	3) Has anybody out there loaded any of the update releases for the
	   RISC6000?  Are they worth the effort at this time?

Please mail any responses to the following net address
and I will post any useful information.

          ************************************
       *******         JS Goldlin        *******
     ********                             *******
   ********* jsg%basecamp@PRC.Unisys.com   *******
  *****  basecamp!jsg@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.com ******

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/13/90)

In article <5274@basecamp.UUCP> jsg@basecamp.UUCP (JS Goldlin) writes:
>I am running the original golden release (july '90) on the RISC6000 &
>experiencing numerous problems:

the original "golden release" was 9021F, a june release.  if you are
running on a july release it would be PTF 3001 (or 2001).

>	3) Has anybody out there loaded any of the update releases for the
>	   RISC6000?  Are they worth the effort at this time?

if you have july AIX V3.1, you already have loaded an update.  some
of the problems you describe sound familiar in older releases.  give
your support team a call and they will tell you if those problems
have been corrected.

>Please mail any responses to the following net address
>and I will post any useful information.

you really need to contact your IBM support team.  the net is a
wonderful resource for some things, but this is not one of them.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

hudgens@sun13.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Jim Hudgens) (11/13/90)

In article <5274@basecamp.UUCP> jsg@basecamp.UUCP (JS Goldlin) writes:
>   1) First and foremost is a system crash with the message "Data
>      Storage Proc - Interrupt" when X is running along with a data
>      communications product.  Anybody else having problems
>      running other products with X?

    We complained about this, and sent in a few crash dumps.  One
machine crashed 6-8 times very sporadically over a period of a few
months.  The person I spoke to asked if there was large NFS mounted
filesystems on the machine having this problem.  There was in this
case and they sent us a patched /etc/nfs.ext (I think) file, and we
haven't had a recurrence of this problem.  Not sure if this patch was
folded into the new releases.

    The error log message is not too informative in my opinion,
but that's true in general for kernel error messages.

--
Disclaimer:  I didn't do it.
Jim Hudgens		Supercomputer Computations Research Institute

shawn@jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) (11/14/90)

You really should get the latest updates.  I don't recall if any of them
solved your roblem, but with over 150 bug fixes on the latest updates in
almost every area of the system I think it's very likely that one of the
bug fixes/enhancements will be useful to you.

RLAUZON@ucc.uwindsor.ca (Roger Lauzon) (11/14/90)

Phil:
   Why don't you pursue this about the RISC6000.
                               Thanks.
                                   Roger