[comp.unix.internals] YA4.1B

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (11/14/90)

["It's happening again"]

Well, we finally got 4.1 installed across all of our machines, and the ALT key
stuff in our code broke.

I can't seem to be able to get an ALT key event anymore thru a canvas window.
ALT came thru as a 0x06 in a keyboard event, but now nothing happens.

In the words of David Letterman "boy are we screwed". Well, not really, but
it makes things really cumbersome.

Any suggestions besides returning to 4.0?

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

>Well, we finally got 4.1 installed across all of our machines,

Umm, I think you left the "SunOS" out of the "4.1"....

>and the ALT key stuff in our code broke.
>
>I can't seem to be able to get an ALT key event anymore thru a canvas window.
>ALT came thru as a 0x06 in a keyboard event, but now nothing happens.

The fact that the Alt key, in releases prior to 4.1, happened to
generate ^F was a *bug*.  Somebody forgot to put "SHIFTKEY+" into the
translation table entry for the Alt key, so instead of being a modifier
key that set modifier bit 6, it was a ^F key.

That was fixed in 4.1; in 4.1, Alt is a modifier key, as it was always
*supposed* to be.

>Any suggestions besides returning to 4.0?

1) Fix your software not to assume Alt is an alias for ^F (I very much
   doubt it'll work under, say, Open Windows if it makes that
   assumption; I suspect OW has XK_Alt_L or XK_Alt_R as the keysym for
   that key...).

2) Tell users to type ^F instead of Alt.

3) Construct a file for "loadkeys" that remaps the Alt key:

	key 19	all '\006'

   and run "loadkeys" with that file on all your machines, and also
   arrange that it be run with that file from "/etc/rc.single" after the
   "loadkeys -e" command.

I vote for 1), possibly combined with 2), but if that can't be done, do
3).

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov13.165058.23107@nas.nasa.gov> smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:
>Well, we finally got 4.1 installed across all of our machines

And about time too.  The rest of us are expecting 4.4 real soon.

:-)

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed