[comp.unix.internals] Waaah! My bit bucket is missing...

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (11/22/90)

A silly thing happened today. Something nuked my /dev/null device. I know
how to use mknod all right, but I cannot seem to find the spec for /dev/null
anywhere in the conf files. I'm using AT&T System V Release 3.2.

Anybody out there know a clever way or ways to mine it out of the kernel or
conf files?
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

First off, if you want help, don't include the following line:

It confuses some admittedly broken news reading software and may make
someone decide that they don't want to go throught the trouble to help you.

In article <1YX6d1#4Tp8f44pkCfd9Ls4PT1wjkW3=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>A silly thing happened today. Something nuked my /dev/null device. I know
>how to use mknod all right, but I cannot seem to find the spec for /dev/null
>anywhere in the conf files. I'm using AT&T System V Release 3.2.

For system V, the norm is that /dev/null has the same major device
number as /dev/mem and /dev/kmem but has the minor device number of 2.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170