[comp.unix.internals] Hardware Architectures and I/O

rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) (12/02/90)

In article <PST.90Dec1131440@ack.Stanford.EDU> pst@ir.Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) writes:

>Back when there were REAL(tm) computers like 780, a lot of time and
>energy went into designing efficient I/O from the CPU bus to the
>electrons going to the disk or tty.

Damn right, but even the 780 was a step down.  Get your KL-10
documentation set out and read about *them*.  Front-end PDP-11s that
did Tops-20's command completion.  Seperate I/O and memory buses.
8-ported (that's eight, son) memory that talked to the I/O front-end
machines for *real* DMA, not cycle stealing!

>Sure OS's and apps have gotten bloated, but when you put a chip like
>the MIPS R3000 on a machine barely more advanced than an IBM-AT you
>end up with a toy that can think fast but can't do anything.  I can't
>really blame companies like DEC and Sun for producing mismatched
>hardware, because their marketing drones are constantly trying to
>undercut each other in price.  It's a hell of a lot more expensive to
>ship a product with a well designed I/O system than to drop in a
>"killer bitchen" CPU chip; occasionally someone makes the attempt do
>design a great piece of hardware, and you end up with something not
>half bad (like the DECstation 5000, which is only crippled by Ultrix

You left out the worst offender of them all - IBM.  The RS-6000 may
crank out 27 MIPS, but it can't context switch or handle interrupts
worth shit.  You can lower machine performance to the point of
unusability by FTPing a file from another machine on the same ethernet
segment!  Next time get a chance to play with an RS-6000, try this:
Pop about a dozen xterms, iconify them, put the icons in a row, and
wave the pointer back and forth over them as fast as you can.
Astounding, no?  The highlighting on the icons will keep bouncing back
and forth long after you stop waving the pointer.  My personal record
is 20 seconds.  Makes a Sun-2 running display Postscript seem
astoundingly fast.  RS-6000s also have an annoying tendency to "lock
up" for a few seconds (5 < x < 15) and then return to normal - I'm
told that this is normal and due to paging activity.  The microchannel
card cage design is pretty bad too - sure, you can put cards in, but
God help you if you have to take them back out!  And you better
tighten down the retaining screws all the way...  or the first time
you look at the card funny it will pop out.  To its credit, I must say
it compiles GNU Emacs faster than any other machine I've used, but I
do more with a workstation than just run compiles.  And, if you think
Ultrix is bad, it's only because you haven't tried AIX.

                                        ---Rob

--
Internet: rs@eddie.mit.edu             |  Copyright:  Protecting your right to
Bitnet:   RS@SESTAK                    |              copy software.

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.154303.17105@eddie.mit.edu> rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:
>In article <PST.90Dec1131440@ack.Stanford.EDU> pst@ir.Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) writes:
>>
>>Back when there were REAL(tm) computers like 780, a lot of time and
>>energy went into designing efficient I/O from the CPU bus to the
>>electrons going to the disk or tty.
>>

>Damn right, but even the 780 was a step down.  Get your KL-10
>documentation set out and read about *them*.  Front-end PDP-11s that
>did Tops-20's command completion.  Seperate I/O and memory buses.
>8-ported (that's eight, son) memory that talked to the I/O front-end
>machines for *real* DMA, not cycle stealing!

    Which in turn was a step down from the Sigmas, with 12 ported
memory.  (lots of little wires in those donuts).  Every major device got
its own port - the CPU was just another device.  (You could plug a slave
CPU into the bus while the system was running; after its self-test, the
system would "find" it and start assigning it tasks).  Lot of nice
touches on that machine, like a line printer (not the driver) that kept
track of hills and valleys.

    The CPU couldn't have been as powerful as a 68030 or 486, but it'd
do real-time flight simulation without a hitch, or timeshare more than
90 users before it started to get annoying.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

wcs) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.154303.17105@eddie.mit.edu>, rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:
> RS-6000s also have an annoying tendency to "lock
> up" for a few seconds (5 < x < 15) and then return to normal - I'm
> told that this is normal and due to paging activity.

AAARGH!  My VAX 11/780 used to behave in this pathological manner,
which is much more annoying when you have a dozen people doing vi
than one person.  We were trying to do a 12MB process on a 4MB VAX,
and had used 4.1BSD for a while.  We got about the third copy of
VAX Paging SVR2 to leave Summit - it wasn't a beta copy (which
implies support), it was just a favor (thanks, Doris!)

VAX OS's were somewhat flaky then because of the brain-damaged DEC
UDA-50 disk controllers and suicidal-to-install DEC patchware,
and our machine had a giMongous amount of memory compared to the
average VAX or 3B2 of its day.  Since our major application
(a simulation which spent most of its time thrashing memory) was
radically different from Summit's intended applications (vi/troff/cc
with maybe a few 1/2MB user programs), their tuning advice for "big"
systems only made things worse.  Eventually, by doing the opposite
of what they said, and using a VERY large swap area on disk,
we were able to get a livable system.

After a year or two, the price of memory finally came down to the
point that we could afford 16MB (about $50K).  RAM really is 100
times faster than disk :-)
--
				Pray for peace!
					Bill

rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) (12/05/90)

wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:
>> RS-6000s also have an annoying tendency to "lock
>> up" for a few seconds (5 < x < 15) and then return to normal - I'm
>> told that this is normal and due to paging activity.
>
>AAARGH!  My VAX 11/780 used to behave in this pathological manner,
>which is much more annoying when you have a dozen people doing vi
>than one person.  We were trying to do a 12MB process on a 4MB VAX,
>and had used 4.1BSD for a while.  We got about the third copy of
>VAX Paging SVR2 to leave Summit - it wasn't a beta copy (which
>implies support), it was just a favor (thanks, Doris!)

Well, I was talking about running one X server and one Emacs in a
machine with 16 MB of memory.  I wasn't abusing the poor thing with a
process that was 3 times as big as my physical memory (probably 4
times as big as available memory once you take out space for the
kernel).

>VAX OS's were somewhat flaky then because of the brain-damaged DEC
>UDA-50 disk controllers and suicidal-to-install DEC patchware,
>and our machine had a giMongous amount of memory compared to the
>average VAX or 3B2 of its day.

What, you were paging to a Unibus disk?  UBAs weren't designed to do
heavy-duty I/O.  You'd probably have been much better off with a
Massbus disk (find an RM03, hang it off a massbus adaptor of its own,
and dedicate the whole disk to swap).  I'm not saying that you had any
choice (you probably had one of the early memory controllers that
would only support 4 MB maximum anyway), but poor performance is to be
expected on a system which you've seriously overloaded.  I should
think that a workstation that is billed as being blazingly fast would
be able to handle running X and Emacs at the same time.

                                        ---Rob

--

v116kznd@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David M Archer) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.164231.10291@eddie.mit.edu>, rs@eddie.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes...
>expected on a system which you've seriously overloaded.  I should
>think that a workstation that is billed as being blazingly fast would
>be able to handle running X and Emacs at the same time.

You've apparently never heard what Emacs stands for...  <grin>

---
Speaking of paging and those wonderfull things, we've recently been playing
with a 3rd-party product which sortof lets a Macintosh II with an '030
processor have virtual memory.  Problem is, it seems to require that the entire
active application, along with the system, needs to reside in memory, and any
other applications which might have been working in the background are more or
less halted.  And to think we thought a product that advertised that it gave
one virtual memory could run a 7MB application with roughly 2MB of system
memory in an 8MB machine.  How foolish of us.  One wonders if System 7 will
handle virtual memory any better, although most sane people have given up
wondering about System 7.