[comp.unix.internals] diskless UNIX

wingo@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dave Wingo) (12/03/90)

I am looking for information about diskless implications for the UNIX operating system. This would
include thoughts on booting(rarp,bootp,tftp,...?), transition for boot to actually running the
loaded kernel, and more importantly swap, root dev considerations and other things I have yet
to consider.. If you know of a book or article that discusses diskless UNIX workstations or have
experience that you could share It would be greatly appreciated.!!!

Thanks in advance.... David Wingo

email - wingo@Columbia.NCR.COM
voice - (803)-7916476

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) (12/07/90)

wingo@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dave Wingo) writes:
> I am looking for information about diskless implications for the UNIX
> operating system. This would include thoughts on booting(rarp,bootp,tftp,...?)
> , transition for boot to actually running the loaded kernel, and more
> importantly swap, root dev considerations and other things I have yet
> to consider.

I've seen a diskless AT&T System V/386 Rel. 4 at Nixdorf in Berlin (Germany).
They use a MS-DOS TCP/IP BOOT-PROM to download a secondary bootstrap loader
which then downloads the kernel via TFTP and installs NFS.

They best way to contact them is via FAX:

	Nixdorf MPE GmbH
	Attn: Mr. Axel Lindeblatt
	FAX +49 30 4607-2505

cu,