[comp.unix.internals] Popular response to the Jargon File 2.1.5...

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (12/02/90)

...has been so overwhelming that I'm going to post a new version soon (like,
within the next two weeks).

    2.1.6 will include the numerous submissions of new entries that I've
received by email, and also over a thousand lines of additions and changes
that effectively merge in the 1983 paper edition of jargon-1 (thanks to Guy
Steele for kindly providing an on-line version of the ms).

    So get those new entries in now! Also, please note that I'm looking for
more entries for the `Hacker History Timeline' that will go in the book
version.

    Prospects for paper publication are looking better than ever; there are
now *three* major publishers who have expressed interest, and one has
solicited a formal proposal. I will of course continue to make the on-line
version available for free to hackers and continue to update and maintain it
after paper release.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (12/05/90)

In article <1Ydf1L#9BjnvO0Bzs6d4g0QT6426PlS=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>...has been so overwhelming that I'm going to post a new version soon (like,
>within the next two weeks).

This might be obvious, but the book "The Devouring Fungus" that has just
come out relates to the Jargon File.  (Apparently it includes a fair
amount of terms from the file already.)  From that book I would like
to suggest "COBOL Charlie" be added.  (In my own realm, we need a
term like "dBASE Dave," BTW  :-)  )  Also, regarding humorous entries,
I have heard of "The Devil's DP Dictionary" by Stan Kelly-Bootle.  If
this is indeed a real book, it would seem like a logical addition to
the bibliography at the end.

Thanks again, BTW, for making this great file available to us!

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com   V:(213)538-7108

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.210002.28683@ashtate> tomr@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>I have heard of "The Devil's DP Dictionary" by Stan Kelly-Bootle.  If
>this is indeed a real book, it would seem like a logical addition to
>the bibliography at the end.

This is indeed a real book.  I have had the pleasure of reading it.
I only wish I knew where to get it.        -- Darren

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

zzassgl@uts.mcc.ac.uk (Geoff Lane) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.210002.28683@ashtate> tomr@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>In article <1Ydf1L#9BjnvO0Bzs6d4g0QT6426PlS=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>I have heard of "The Devil's DP Dictionary" by Stan Kelly-Bootle.  If
>this is indeed a real book, it would seem like a logical addition to
>Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com   V:(213)538-7108

It's real - published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-034022-6 was $7.50 in '81.
The is not a lot of common entries. The Jargon file covers micros and
workstations more completely (as it should being very much larger) whereas
The D.DP.D covers much more about the older mainframes.

A typical entry ...

computer journalist n. A programmer or systems analyst lured into the
tabloid cesspool with false promises of shorter hours, better pay, and
less attention to detail.  The unsatisfied craving for an audience often
leads to an early return to former honest labors.
--
Geoff. Lane.                                  Janet: zzassgl@uk.ac.mcc.cms
UTS Sys Admin, Manchester Computing Centre, Oxford Rd, Manchester, M13 9PL

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (12/08/90)

In <1933@mccuts.uts.mcc.ac.uk> Geoff Lane wrote:
> In article <1990Dec4.210002.28683@ashtate> tomr@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
> >In article <1Ydf1L#9BjnvO0Bzs6d4g0QT6426PlS=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> >I have heard of "The Devil's DP Dictionary" by Stan Kelly-Bootle.  If
> >this is indeed a real book, it would seem like a logical addition to
> >Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com   V:(213)538-7108
>
> It's real - published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-034022-6 was $7.50 in '81.

I know -- that was Mr. Rombout's question, not mine!

The current revision of the Jargon File includes a biblio entry for it.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)