[comp.unix.internals] asynchronous I/O in SVR4?

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (11/29/90)

I don't have first hand experience with SVR4 yet, though I have access to
all the manuals that Prentice-Hall sells.  I have heard various rumblings
that asynchronous I/O was in the SVR4 design documents distributed some time
ago.  I can't find anything in the manuals about any type of asynchronous
I/O support.  But today a friend told me about all sorts of asynchronous I/O
functions mentioned in standard header files in SVR4, in particular:

/usr/include/sys/asyncio.h
/usr/include/sys/asyncsys.h
hints of an async(2) system call, an aiodaemon, an aioinit function
lots of defines for AIOxxx symbols
mention that this is Version 2, and Version 1 was a prototype

Does anyone know the story?  It would be best if AT&T stepped
forward and spilled the beans, but, in the best traditions of
Usenet, rumors and innuendo are welcome, too. :-)
Even something from AT&T along the lines of "Sure it exists
but if we told you about it, we would have to kill you." would
be okay.  Maybe only large application vendors get the details. :-(

--
A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/01/90)

In article <579@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
   Does anyone know the story?  It would be best if AT&T stepped
   forward and spilled the beans... Even something from AT&T along the
   lines of "Sure it exists but if we told you about it, we would have
   to kill you." would be okay.  Maybe only large application vendors
   get the details. :-(

How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
to SVR4) includes all of <sys/asynch.h>, aiocancel(3), aioread(3),
aiowait(3), and aiowrite(3).

>How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
>to SVR4)

Yes, that's one thing that it is.  It's also Sun's release that adds an
asynchronous I/O mechanism, but the mechanism doesn't come from S5R4, as
far as I know....

In article <4719@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
| >How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
| >to SVR4)
|
| Yes, that's one thing that it is.  It's also Sun's release that adds an
| asynchronous I/O mechanism, but the mechanism doesn't come from S5R4, as
| far as I know....

  The header files are in Dell V.4, but I don't see aiowait or asiowait
in the masterliblist file, which shows all the routines in every
library. Don't know if they only got half, or if they took some out, or
if the async stuff has those names redefined in the header files. I will
look, but not this morning.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (12/10/90)

In article <2541@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
< In article <4719@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
< | >How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
< | >to SVR4)
< |
<
<   The header files are in Dell V.4, but I don't see aiowait or asiowait
< in the masterliblist file, which shows all the routines in every
< library. Don't know if they only got half, or if they took some out, or
< if the async stuff has those names redefined in the header files. I will
< look, but not this morning.
< --
< bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)

And to answer my own original question... :-)

Someone from UNIX System Laboratories returned my call and explained
the situation with SVR4.  No, SVR4 does not have any form of
asynchronous I/O.  A pre-release version did exist, but it was
removed from the distributed code.  Some of the STREAMS functionality
depends on definitions in the asynch header files, so they had to stay.

--
A. Lester Buck    buck@siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck

shri@ncst.ernet.in (H.Shrikumar) (12/17/90)

In article <4719@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>How about everyone with a Sun?  SunOS 4.1 (billed as Sun's transition
>>to SVR4)
>
>Yes, that's one thing that it is.  It's also Sun's release that adds an
>asynchronous I/O mechanism, but the mechanism doesn't come from S5R4, as
>far as I know....

   More info on the aynch I/O requested ... or at least do you have any
pointers to it ?

   Is it done as a posted system call, with an early return, and if so
does it invent a new SIG exception to handle failures ? And if (that too)
so, how are pre-emptive quotas etc. implemented ?

   EMWTK. Thanx in advance.

-- shrikumar ( shri@ncst.in )