[comp.unix.internals] Warning: Failed mail to VMS host

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Wed, 14 Nov 1990              V11#031

Today's Topics:
                    Re: Bad login user id(sco-unix)
             Re: Problems with July 90 release of RISC6000
                             Socket number?
                                 YA4.1B
                         SLIP/streams problems
             Re: Problems with July 90 release of RISC6000
                         Killer Micro Question

From: "John F. Haugh II" <jfh@rpp386.cactus.org>
Subject: Re: Bad login user id(sco-unix)
Date: 24 Oct 90 06:49:33 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <1826@overlf.UUCP> emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) writes:
>In article <24816@adm.BRL.MIL>, hliao@opus.calstatela.edu writes:
>> 	Why don't you try "exec login"?
>
>That won't work because of the security "features" included with SCO.

there is an alleged attempt to port my login suite to SCO UNIX.  if
you want to join in on the fun, why don't you try to pick up a copy
of the sources from an archive site near you.  or just wait until
the appropriate bodies send their changes back to me to post ...

i don't know what all SCO did to UNIX to make it so ornery, so i
can't comment on how bizarre the security features in SCO UNIX are.

just remember boys and girls - security is your FRIEND!
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

-----------------------------

From: "John F. Haugh II" <jfh@rpp386.cactus.org>
Subject: Re: Problems with July 90 release of RISC6000
Date: 13 Nov 90 13:46:14 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <5274@basecamp.UUCP> jsg@basecamp.UUCP (JS Goldlin) writes:
>I am running the original golden release (july '90) on the RISC6000 &
>experiencing numerous problems:

the original "golden release" was 9021F, a june release.  if you are
running on a july release it would be PTF 3001 (or 2001).

>	3) Has anybody out there loaded any of the update releases for the
>	   RISC6000?  Are they worth the effort at this time?

if you have july AIX V3.1, you already have loaded an update.  some
of the problems you describe sound familiar in older releases.  give
your support team a call and they will tell you if those problems
have been corrected.

>Please mail any responses to the following net address
>and I will post any useful information.

you really need to contact your IBM support team.  the net is a
wonderful resource for some things, but this is not one of them.

From: Jim Hudgens <hudgens@sun13.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: 13 Nov 90 15:41:57 GMT
Sender: hudgens@sun13.scri.fsu.edu
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <5274@basecamp.UUCP> jsg@basecamp.UUCP (JS Goldlin) writes:
>   1) First and foremost is a system crash with the message "Data
>      Storage Proc - Interrupt" when X is running along with a data
>      communications product.  Anybody else having problems
>      running other products with X?

    We complained about this, and sent in a few crash dumps.  One
machine crashed 6-8 times very sporadically over a period of a few
months.  The person I spoke to asked if there was large NFS mounted
filesystems on the machine having this problem.  There was in this
case and they sent us a patched /etc/nfs.ext (I think) file, and we
haven't had a recurrence of this problem.  Not sure if this patch was
folded into the new releases.

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

I have noticed that the ttyp lines on our Suns retain stty characteristics
even after a user has logged out.  This is ok until someone (or something)
messes with them.  How can I guarantee that all my pseudo terminal lines are
at any predefined stable state?  Must I force an exhaustive set of stty calls
into everyone's .login?

--Ernie Brouwer
  Unix System Administrator
  Calvin College and Seminary
  3201 Burton SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546-4388
  (616) 957-8548      (V)
  (616) 957-8551      (F)
  ernie@calvin.edu    (E)

P.S.  I am running on a Sun 4/390 SunOs 4.0.3 (BSD 4.2) on a network where
     all access is via ASCII terminal over terminal servers and the ethernet.

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX> could not be
 delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Tue, 13 Nov 1990              V11#030

Today's Topics:
           Re: Alias to change path on the fly - ALTERNATIVE
                    uurec (bnews) fails - need help
                            Re: rcp behavior
          Re: asserts and unexpected returns (was: Re: Assert)
Re: Duplicating ASCII bel in the tty driver (was Re: Changing tty drivers)
                    Info needed on Accelerator Cards
                     Mods to make ucb mail use POP?
                       Re: replacement getwd(3).

From: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <goer@quads.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: Alias to change path on the fly - ALTERNATIVE
Date: 11 Nov 90 19:32:02 GMT
Sender: News Administrator <news@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In <PAUL.90Nov10154152@cheshire.ixi.uucp> paul@ixi.uucp (Paul Davey) writes:

>As an alternative solution I'd use a symbolic link to the bin and
>delete it and recreate it as required.

Ln -s isn't portable, as I'm sure you know.  Hmmm.

-Richard

-----------------------------

From: Frank Kaefer <fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org>
Subject: uurec (bnews) fails - need help
Date: 12 Nov 90 02:31:15 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

Dear Readers,

I have a problem with bnews's "uurec" command. Every article that
is piped to "uurec" (these articles were sent using sendnews) fails
with the error (in news/lib/errlog):

Nov 11 21:29	Unknown	inews: Cannot get user's name

Any pointers, fixes, diffs etc. appreciated.

Thanks a lot for every help in advance !

Cheers,
Frank
--
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org | Starnberg, Germany |
| Compuserve: 72427,2101   | Internet: fkk@Germany.Sun.COM   |

-----------------------------

From: David Collier-Brown <davecb@nexus.yorku.ca>
Subject: Re: rcp behavior
Date: 9 Nov 90 14:20:00 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>"rcp srcfile host:destfile" is effectively equivalent to
>	rsh host "cat >destfile" <srcfile
>If the local system has all of the source file in its NFS cache, and the
>cache doesn't time out too soon, this should work.

  Interesting...  I hadn't thought about the effects of caching when I said

for i in *; do
	rcp foo my_Sun3_280:/tmp/foo &
done

  I was disappointed and a bit puzzled when multiple copies of a
non-zero-size foo produced a zero-size /tmp/foo.

--dave
ps: I was also bemused when my perfmeter window turned solid black - I
should have suspected an r-command would be expensive (:-)).
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just

-----------------------------

From: "John F. Haugh II" <jfh@rpp386.cactus.org>
Subject: Re: asserts and unexpected returns (was: Re: Assert)
Date: 12 Nov 90 07:25:22 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Ken Bell <SYKLB%NASAGISS.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> sent this piece
of MISINFORMATION:
> When the Korn shell starts up, if it's a login shell, then your
> .profile is executed, otherwise it isn't.  If you want to have
> something that is executed on every login (like the .login in
> the C shell), then you put it in an .environment file, and you
> can specify the name of that file in the ENV environment variable.

I think what he meant to say was
> .profile is executed, otherwise it isn't.  If you want to have
:                                            If you want to have
: something that is executed on every shell startup (like the .cshrc in
: the C shell), then you put it in a file, and you
: specify the name of that file in the ENV environment variable.

What the Korn Shell man page says is:

    ENV     If this parametere is set, then parameter substitution is
            performed on the value to generate the pathname of the script
            that will be executed when the shell is invoked. (See "Invocation"
            below.)  This file it typically used for "alias" and "function"
            definitions.

REMEMBER: Read the Fine Manual,
and then Quote the Fine Manual.

Arthur Protin <protin@pica.army.mil>
These are my personal views and do not reflect those of my boss
or this installation.

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

SUB Olaf Erb

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

I've created a root alias with a shell script in the login field of
/etc/passwd to allow our Operator to do backups.  The file permissions
on the script are such that only root can rwx and the script makes sure
that its executing from the system console (a designated tty).

Effectively, this is a way of getting a suid root script when your
kernel doesn't let you.  How does this compare to real suid root
scripts as far as security holes are concerned?

Randy Carpenter                                syscrc@gsuvm1.bitnet
Georgia State University                       (404) 651-2648

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Please, an old announcement was issued to this list. Due to scheduling
problems we had to change the date of the event so please, consider the
following as true:

                     Workshop (Journey) EPUSP/IEEE
                 In High Performance Computing Systems

                     Sao Paulo, March 24-28, 1991

The "Escola Politecnica da Universidade de Sao Paulo" and the IEEE - Institute
of  the  Electrical  and  Electronic  Engineers  -  Section  South  Brasil are
organizing the first Journey EPUSP/IEEE in High Performance Computing Systems,
aiming  to integrate researchers, engineers, professionals and students in the
area  of   High Performance Computing. The event will cover, among others, the
following subjects:

* Arquitetures,
* Algorithms,
* Analise and Modelling,
* Interconnection Networks,
* Operating Systems,
* Languages and Compilers,
* Applications,
* Neural/Neuronal Networks,
* Parallel Processing,
* Distributed Processing.

The Journey will be constituted of Lectures presented by invited researchers,
papers  presenting,  tutorials  presenting,  advanced  courses and equipament
exhibits.

CALL FOR PAPERS:

The  Organizing  Comission will accept works within the proposed themes. The
authors  must  send  4  copies  of the works (in Portuguese or English). The
works  should  not  have  more than 15 pages. After aproval, the authors may
have to send a revised copy of the text to be included in the proceedings.

The  text  must  be  presented in A4 paper, 2.4cm lateral margins, 3.5cm top
margin,  2.0cm botton margin. The text must be in 12 characters per inch and
we strongly suggest to avoid small details.

There  will  be  a  special  section  dedicated to works that present design
experiences of high performance computing systems in Brasil. Research groups
are  invited  to  send  works describing their experiences in the project of
hardware and software for high performance systems.

LIMIT DATES:

Works deliverance:              Dec 14, 1990.
Acceptation:                    Feb 04, 1991.
Revised works:                  Mar 25, 1991.

Hardware/Software manufacturers are invited to expose their products.

For Information:

Escola Politecnica da Universidade de Sao Paulo
Laboratorio de Sistemas Integraveis
Av. Prof. Luciano Gualberto, trav. 3, 158.
05508 - Sao Paulo - SP - BRASIL
Acc: Casimiro de Almeida Barreto

Or:

Escola Politecnica da Universidade de Sao Paulo
Coordenacao de Eventos
Av. Prof. Mello Moraes, 2373 - Eng. Minas
05508 - Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil
Acc: Marina Madeira

Tel: +55 11 211-4574.
     +55 11 815-9322 ext 270/314/315/420/430.

Fax: +55 11 815-4272.

E-Mail: casimiro@vme131.lsi.usp.ansp.br
        uunet!vme131!casimiro

----- End Included Message -----

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

        Where does the 'suid' die in a pipe?

As always send to me and I'll summerize.

--
-Buck                    ! User n.: A programmer who will believe
(buck@sct60a.sunyct.edu) !          anything you tell him.

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

Could you put me on this mailing list please.....

	-Chris (csg053@uk.ac.cov)

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Sun, 18 Nov 1990              V11#035

Today's Topics:
                Re: write/close (was Re: Trojan Horses)
           Re: Status of voting to rename comp.unix.internals
                  Re: how to setuid for shell scripts?
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
              How do you find the symbolic links to files.
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.

From: Malcolm Weir <malc@iconsys.uucp>
Subject: Re: write/close (was Re: Trojan Horses)
Date: 27 Oct 90 02:36:18 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <35111@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:

>In summary, this behaviour of a file system is not acceptable.

As I understand it, under bog standard *nix System V, and 4.2 for that matter,
running on disk-rich workstations (i.e. without NFS), it is perfectly possible
for data to be lost long after the write(2) has occurred, the close(2) has
been performed, and the process itself having retired to a little cottage in
the country to end its days in comfort, with each operation gleefully reporting
success and basically life to be wonderful.

Consider what happens when your machine is informed that the disk has a BAD
SECTOR, or worse, that someone has emptied their morning coffee into your
drive cabinet and the drives have quit in protest...

Error returns? Luxury. They may be too late to do anything, but its better
than *not* telling you!

Malc.

P.s. How about a "Call for Votes" on whether "comp.unix.internals" should be
renamed and re-chartered as "comp.whining.wingeing.noisy.bastards"?
":-)" Intentionally left out.

-----------------------------

From: Dan Mick <dan@kfw.com>
Subject: Re: Status of voting to rename comp.unix.internals
Date: 16 Nov 90 22:39:09 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <1990Nov15.160404.10588@chinet.chi.il.us> laird@chinet.chi.il.us
 (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>I will summarize here the voting choices as there has been some confusion.
>
>The voting period began on October 25, and continues to November 25.

  [ etc ]

I sent a vote, through uunet, to the listed address, and it got to the
machine and then bounced with 'no such user' from that machine.

I don't think you want input.

-----------------------------

From: Robert Withrow <withrow@vino.enet.dec.com>
Date: 17 Nov 90 23:28:54 GMT
Sender: guest@ryn.esg.dec.com
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

I sent in my ballot right after this call for votes was issued
and I never received an acknowlegement.

I also sent a reply to this ``status of voting posting'' to you telling you
about
this and asking if you had my vote.  To date I have had no reply.

Considering the history of this issue I am hesitant to just start sending
in additional ballots until one is acknowleged (least I be accused of
ballot box stuffing!), but I want to be certain that my vote is counted!

Could you please look into this and straighten this out?

Also, if others who read this group have experienced the same
problem, would they please *post* this so that the group at large
can discover if this is a widespread phenomina.

-----------------------------

From: "John F. Haugh II" <jfh@rpp386.cactus.org>
Subject: Re: how to setuid for shell scripts?
Date: 17 Nov 90 01:07:32 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <633@vtserf.cc.vt.edu> valdis@wizards.vt.edu (Valdis Kletnieks)
 writes:

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/20/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Sat, 17 Nov 1990              V11#034

Today's Topics:
                    Re: Unmountable disk partitions
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
                  Re: question on select() and sockets
                     Re: What is the kernel doing?
                    Re: Where the Hell is everyone?
                               Re: YA4.1B
                 Re: SETUID STRIPTS ARE A SECURITY HOLE
                   Grabbing tty (rather than console)

From: Heiko Blume <src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: Unmountable disk partitions
Date: 15 Nov 90 20:45:56 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

tanya@adds.newyork.NCR.COM ( tanya katz ) writes:
>I have a partitioned disk on which I want to mark one or more
>partitions as unmountable.

well, a 'perm=NOMOUNT' in the filesystem's stanza in /etc/partitions
sounds logical, but if you want to be *really* sure that you cannot
mount it even from a boot floppy, i'll be happy to send you a little
superblock editor (:-) so you can change the filesystem type magic number
or whatever you like to make mount fail.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

-----------------------------

From: Heiko Blume <src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: Killer Micro Question
Date: 15 Nov 90 20:59:21 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <16364@s.ms.uky.edu> randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) writes:

#I have been wondering how hard it would be to set up several
#of the new fast workstations as one big Mainframe.  For instance,
#imagine some SPARCstations/DECstations set up in a row, and called
#compute servers.  Each one could handle several users editing/compiling/
#debugging on glass TTY's, or maybe one user running X.
#

you might want to have a look at some backissue of BYTE (about distributed
processing). they had an article about a compute server with a damn lot of
processors. it had a Real Fast Bus and processors dedicated for network
handling etc.

From: Moellers <josef@nixdorf.de>
Subject: Re: question on select() and sockets
Date: 16 Nov 90 07:16:39 GMT
Sender: news@nixpbe.nixdorf.de
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In <ABDIK.90Nov14162831@lion.cat.syr.EDU> abdik@cat.syr.EDU (Ahmad Dik) writes:

>I would like to know if select() can be used to find out if there is
>a blocked read on a socket.

>In other words, will the second parameter of the select() function
>tell me if the socket's buffer is empty, and I can write to it, or
>does it tell me that there is someone blocked trying to read from the socket.

>If select can not be used to tell if anyone is blocked reading on a
>socket, is there any other way I can find out ??

The second parameter tells You if You can write to the socket.
That does not mean that the buffer has to be empty, just that there is
enough room to accomodate a write(). It doesn't tell You how much You'll
be able to write.
Needless to say: it's a vector with a bit for each fd.

To my knowledge there is no way of telling if anyone is blocked on the
other end of a connection as
1. the "other party" might be on a different machine far far away
2. the "other party" might not even be a UNIX box that knows what a
   "process" is or how one can "block".

--
=======
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informatonssysteme AG |

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/21/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Fri, 16 Nov 1990              V11#033

Today's Topics:
                  Re: $ENV: ?? What does that mean?!!
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
                Re: Killer Micro Question vs. mainframes
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
                      Where the Hell is everyone?
                  Re: how to setuid for shell scripts?
             Status of voting to rename comp.unix.internals
                  Re: question on select() and sockets
                    UniForum Research Award Program
                               Re: YA4.1B
          Re: asserts and unexpected returns (was: Re: Assert)
                     Re: What is the kernel doing?
     How to Interprete the Counters Kept at "/usr/include/sys/dk.h"

From: Mark Hull-Richter <mahrk@ccicpg.uucp>
Subject: Re: $ENV: ?? What does that mean?!!
Date: 14 Nov 90 18:14:38 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <24894@adm.BRL.MIL>, ARCARDW%INDSVAX1.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu (DUDE OF
 TIME) writes:

>  Yes, its me again.   What does $ENV: mean in Korne Shell???
>
> Is it a path to environment file??? or what????
>
> HELP!
>
> Paul.

Well, if you would RTFM I think you would find the answer fairly easily.
I quote:

	ENV  If this variable is set, then parameter substitution is
	     performed on the value to generate the pathname of the
	     script that will be executed when the shell is invoked (see
	     Invocation, below [in the man page, not here]).  This file
	     is typically used for alias and function definitions.

This is why it is usually a good idea to RTFM before making a world-wide
public humiliating spectacle of oneself.

Vicious?  Acerbic?  Sarcastic?  Not me - I just call 'em as I see 'em.

Oh, and by the way, it's Korn shell (after its author, Dave Korn).

--
Mark A. Hull-Richter, Software Engineering Specialist I  (714)458-7282x539
ICL, 9801 Muirlands Boulevard, Irvine, CA  92713

-----------------------------

From: Ian Dall <ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.oz>
Date: 15 Nov 90 01:25:14 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <16364@s.ms.uky.edu> randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) writes:
>But how does each user, who is about to log in, know which machine to
>log into?  He ought to log into the one with the lowest load average, yet
>without logging on cannot determine which one that is.

I do just that! I have a little shell script called "least-loaded"
which grunges through the output of ruptime. So when X starts up it
does "rsh `least-loaded <list of servers>` ...." to start my clients.
I also do this when I have a compute bound job to run.

The only catch is that all servers need to be capable of running your
job. We have several servers set up with NFS cross mounting so they
are *almost* identical. You can get caught out sometimes though.
Also, NFS imposes an additional overhead. Running a compute bound
process this way is fine, running an IO bound process this way might
be a bad idea if the disk it accesses is physically on another server.

In short, I think it is a good idea, but it needs a more efficient
distributed file system before I would want to release it on Joe User.
It would be really nice to have a distributed OS which was able to
migrate IO bound processes to minimise network traffic and migrate
cpu bound processes to the least loaded machine. Dream on!

--
Ian Dall     life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                       some people more severely than others.

-----------------------------

From: Bob Devine <devine@shodha.enet.dec.com>
Subject: Re: Killer Micro Question vs. mainframes
Date: 15 Nov 90 19:14:50 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

John R. Levine writes:

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (11/21/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Thu, 15 Nov 1990              V11#032

Today's Topics:
                      Unmountable disk partitions
          Re: asserts and unexpected returns (was: Re: Assert)
                       What is the kernel doing?
                     Re: What is the kernel doing?
                           BIND on Ultrix 4.0
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
                Re: Killer Micro Question vs. mainframes
                       Re: Killer Micro Question
                      alarm () going off too soon
                    Re: alarm () going off too soon
                       alarm () expiring too soon

From:  tanya katz  <tanya@adds.newyork.ncr.com>
Subject: Unmountable disk partitions
Date: 13 Nov 90 15:14:38 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

I'm sorry if this is redundant and you have already seen this, but
I have not seen any responses and am trying again.  Someone out
there must have an idea about this?  Please ;-)

I have a partitioned disk on which I want to mark one or more
partitions as unmountable.

I understand this is currently supported on Unix System V.3 Release 2.
We have Release 1.01 of the Tower 700.    I am assuming that there is
some part of the bootblock or partition table that holds this information;
but where?

Can I do this on this version of the O/S?  If so, how?

Thanks,
    Tanya

tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com  -OR- ...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya
ADDS Inc, 100 Marcus Blvd, Hauppauge, NY 11788 - Tel: (516) 231-5400 x430

-----------------------------

From: "John F. Haugh II" <jfh@rpp386.cactus.org>
Date: 14 Nov 90 09:04:34 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <4643@segue.segue.com> jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
>No one has claimed that assert cannot be made to return on some systems,
>yet this is at least the third time that you have responded to some *other*
>point as though that claim were being made.  Can you say *strawman*?

The other objector to my claim that assert() may return has claimed
that implementations which have an assert() that can be made to return
should be ignored, despite the fact that AT&T UNIX 5.2.1 (and all releases
that I know of before it) has exactly this behavior.  Dave has repeatedly
stated that for all "real" UNIX's assert() never returns, without
accepting that this criteria is only true for some flavors of AIX and
BSD.  In any case, Dave is arguing against reality - the exception proves
the argument in this case, and the argument was that assert cannot be
relied on to always exit.  Providing the single counterexample of SCO
Xenix 2.2.3 (and of course, AT&T UNIX 5.2.1) disproves his statement
that assert() always exits.  [ And yes, he has made that claim, before
you state that this is a strawman. ]

Anyhow, this is getting old, and has long strayed away from the original
topic, which was to be careful of unexpected returns.

From: Bob Palowoda <palowoda@fiver>
Subject: What is the kernel doing?
Date: 14 Nov 90 09:27:33 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

 I'm curious, I was running umon386 and watching my system when there was
no activity. I notice that a rawch read causes a process switch. And in turn
it appears that the pwitch causes a iget, namei and dirblk. I assume the
latter are disk access. Why does it do this?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

mikep@dirty.csc.ti.com (Michael A. Petonic) (11/22/90)

In article <25060@adm.brl.mil> mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
> not be delivered.
>The error message was:
>
>Deferred: %MAIL-W-WRITEERR, error writing
>
>This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:
>
> -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded
>
>The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
>your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
>correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.
>

>====== The start of Your original message ======
>
>Could you put me on this mailing list please.....
>
>	   -Chris (csg053@uk.ac.cov)

Tell <(*&!^@(*&!@^&$^@#$(*&^(*&@#$> to rm -rf $HOME...

-MikeP
--
Michael A. Petonic                                              (512) 250-7632
        mikep@dirty.csc.ti.com  or cs.utexas.edu!tilde!dirty!mikep

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (12/08/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: Connect failed, no response from object

The reason why your message could not be delivered is that the remote
DECnet node is not responding at the moment, either because DECnet is not
running at the remote node or because the link to the remote node is
down.

The mail system will try to deliver your original message to the
recipient. If this is not possible within a reasonable time period the
message will be returned to you.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Fri, 07 Dec 1990              V11#054

Today's Topics:
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.
           Re: clearing SUID and SGID bits on non-root write
                        Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6
                      Re: Preventing date rollback
                           Re: holes in files
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.
              two (or more) lex's/yacc's in one executable
                     Re: asynchronous I/O in SVR4?
                        Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6
                          C version of doprnt?
             Re: non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6
             Re: non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful
                        Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
                    finding address that caused SEGV

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (12/08/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: Connect failed, no response from object

The reason why your message could not be delivered is that the remote
DECnet node is not responding at the moment, either because DECnet is not
running at the remote node or because the link to the remote node is
down.

The mail system will try to deliver your original message to the
recipient. If this is not possible within a reasonable time period the
message will be returned to you.

====== The start of Your original message ======

I suppose you *COULD* make it connect with your machine first,  but (I know)
that would not be the best.

--

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (12/14/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Thu, 06 Dec 1990              V11#053

Today's Topics:
           Re: Software Obesity (was Re: Jargon file v2.1.5)
                    Ok... can we switch it back now?
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6
                Re: finding what processes owns a socket
                          PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
                        Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
                         sysi86(S) in SCO Xenix
            Re: Popular response to the Jargon File 2.1.5...
                      Re: Preventing date rollback
           Re: need URGENT help with SCO UNIX TCP/IP - please
       CONVERSION, (postscript to laser) on 3B's and DEC stations
Re: Hardware Architectures and I/O (was: Re: Jargon file...) **FLAME!!**
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.
                       Problems with the crontab
             clearing SUID and SGID bits on non-root write
           Re: clearing SUID and SGID bits on non-root write
                           Re: holes in files
                    Multics bloat??? Are you sure???
                    Jargon File Editorial Philosophy
                     Jargon file submission address
                         Jargon File ftp access
           Idea: general issues/topical computer discussion.
                           Seeking Unix Gurus

From: "Vadim G. Antonov" <avg@hq.demos.su>
Subject: Re: Software Obesity (was Re: Jargon file v2.1.5)
Date: 3 Dec 90 17:36:07 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

I can't agree more with the expressive article by Marcus J. Ranum
<mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com>. I like to express my attitude to software
dumps - I think the cost of finding and learning of appropriate
"feature" for solving a particular problem is much higher than
writing the program from scratch in "modern" commercial systems.
After reaching this point in complexity growth a system will collapse
under load of zillions of new misfeatures.

The theory I used to discuss on my lectures is:

HOW TO CREATE A DEAD SYSTEM

There are *three* ways "traditional" systems used to grow:

1) Packages

The old, dusty approach - if you have a problem you write a program
to solve *this* problem. If the problem is a bit more complex than
multiplying two 10x10 matrices you'd probably write a "package" equipped
with screen-oriented input, form generator, some bells and some whistles.
OK, you've made a cuspy package, let's call it "A". Some other guys have
done another package, "B", for a different task. OK, some time passed and
now you have to pass data from A to B in order to solve "joint" problem.

You can write a converter from data in format A into data in format B:

	A -> Conv -> B

in this case Conv tends to be a separate package and often it's less trivial
task than to solve the whole problem. In such case you have to design
a completely new package "A+B". In both cases you have *a new* package
for a minor increase in functionality. As you can see the curve

complexity     *
	|      *
	|     *
	|    *
	|  **
	***
	+------------- functionality

is exponential - and the life time of usable system is really small.
Examples of package-oriented systems are: IBM OS/370, Miscrosoft MS-DOS, etc.

2) Integrated Systems

The second way is to incorporate various kinds of functionality into
a single super-package (so called "integrated system"). This method
allows a desiger to avoid duplicating functions but tends to build
huge, unmanageable (and undebugable) programs. Moreover, such systems
practically does not allow users to upgrade and transform their
environment to their needs. As a result designers of such systems
make users to follow pre-defined paths what makes such systems *useless*
for solving *new* problems. Needless to say such systems could satisfy
only suits. The other source of limitations is the physical resources
of computers - try to imagine one which could keep the whole Unix
including all utilites in RAM :-) Unfortunately I-don't-want-to-think-but-
-I-want-to-use-computer user population is a very attractive target for

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (12/14/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Wed, 12 Dec 1990              V11#059

Today's Topics:
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.
             Re: non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful
                      Re: Preventing date rollback
  Re: Unix files should have both real and effective ids for files too
Complex security mechanism is unsecure (was Re: non-superuser chown(2)s
 considered harmful)
               Re: Interfaces for accessing kernel memory
    UNIX ACLs (was: Re: non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful)
            Re: The performance implications of the ISA bus
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6
                   Remote Command Execution over WAN.
                      NL -> CR NL  through sockets
                  HOW TO ACCESS PROCESS INFORMATION???
                   fun things mapped into user space
             Shared memory (shm) - a safe way to pick ids?
              How to get past end of cpio archive on tape

From: Bob Goudreau <goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com>
Subject: Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.
Date: 10 Dec 90 22:53:27 GMT
Sender: Usenet Administration <usenet@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <2707:Dec1001:26:4290@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>,
 brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

> Sorry. What I meant was that the archiver can just squish the first N
> zero-filled blocks it finds into holes. Then it writes zeros into the
> remaining zero-filled blocks.

OK.  I understand your point now.

> > The only portable way is to examine the file data looking for
> > stretches of nulls; but as I mentioned, this makes your program slower
> > than it has to be.
>
> Yes, it makes it slower. It does not make it significantly slower.

I guess it depends on how many holey files you have, and how big
their holes are.  Most of the read()s over the holes sould come fairly
cheap, but you now also have the additional step of examining the
input data looking for stretches of zeros.

> > > No, there won't be any read() time wasted. There will be CPU time
> > > wasted. (Tom points out in another article that vectorization helps
> > > here.)
> > Yes, there will be read() time wasted; the archiver must read() the
> > entire file a chunk at a time and then check each chunk for zeros.
>
> It has to read the entire file anyway, if it is going to write() it onto
> tape. Where are your extra read()s?

No, my point is that dump(1M) *doesn't* have to read() the entire file;
by examining the file system directly, it can determine in advance
exactly where the holes are and thus avoid read()ing through them.
The only data it need read are the actual allocated data blocks.
Whereas the more portable & straightforward archiving approach must
naively read() through (say) a gigabyte of hole, and also analyze all
the null bytes thus read in order to verify that they indeed form a
hole.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

-----------------------------

From: Dan Bernstein <brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
Date: 12 Dec 90 02:37:20 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <1990Dec10.191522.2757@erg.sri.com> zwicky@erg.sri.com (Elizabeth
 Zwicky) writes:
> In article <2469:Dec1001:13:4390@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
 brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >Elizabeth said that ``you have to get pretty intimate with the disk'' to
> >tell that a file has holes, or something like that. She concluded that
> >an archiver can with good conscience restore files with as many holes as
> >possible, hence saving as much space as possible.
> No, actually, Elizabeth didn't say either of those things.

Well, sorry, I thought it was Elizabeth who said ``you have to get
pretty intimate with the disk to tell that the 20 meg of nulls aren't
there'' in <1990Dec5.052124.28435@erg.sri.com>. And who agreed in a
later article with Tom's conclusions. But this is besides the point.

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (12/15/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

UNIX-WIZARDS Digest          Fri, 14 Dec 1990              V11#061

Today's Topics:
             Re: non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful
                  Re: Multics bloat??? Are you sure???
           Re: Shared memory (shm) - a safe way to pick ids?
        Has anyone hacked ftpd to keep a log of outgoing files?
      Re: Has anyone hacked ftpd to keep a log of outgoing files?
                     What does sync() _really_ do?
                         Re: PROCESS MIGRATION
                         Re: Password and gecos
               Re: Complex security mechanism is unsecure
                        Re: What do I do wrong?
                 Re: fun things mapped into user space
                Programmatic interface to dynamic linker
            Re: How to get past end of cpio archive on tape
            Re: How do you find the symbolic links to files.
  Re: Unix files should have both real and effective ids for files too
                           sdbm is available.
           Re: Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 5 of 6
               Re: Interfaces for accessing kernel memory
                      Re: Preventing date rollback
                     Re: PROCESS MIGRATION IN UNIX
                          Re: Looking for code

From: Leslie Mikesell <les@chinet.chi.il.us>
Subject: Re: non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful
Date: 11 Dec 90 20:36:32 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

In article <1990Dec11.005644.20688@cbnewsk.att.com> hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony
 L. Hansen) writes:
>< Exactly. This is why several people have been arguing for chown() to
>< work between current and effective uids. Does chown() have any other
>< reasonable use?
>
>The mail(1) command uses chown(2) and set-gid to give a secure mail system. I
>feel that other methods are fraught with potential security holes.
>
>					Tony Hansen
>				att!pegasus!hansen, attmail!tony
>				    hansen@pegasus.att.com

Are you talking about the same SysV /bin/mail that I have (AT&T SysVr3)
that uses the environment variable LOGNAME to decide who you are
and allows you to forward your mail with the command:
mail -F new_address

If you are, try:
MAIL=/usr/mail/you LOGNAME=you mail -F me
  (replace "you" with someone else on the system who happens to have an
   empty mailbox, and "me" with your login name)

Then tell me if you would still describe the system as secure.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

-----------------------------

From: Rik Harris <edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>
Date: 13 Dec 90 15:51:48 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

 Fagan) writes:

>>I prefer the control you get from a proper implementation of ACL's.  See
>>Elxsi's EMBOS for an example.  (Normal ACL's, an extension of Unix's rwx
>>philosophy, with users and groups; passwords for files [I forget whether
>>different users could have different passwords; I think so], and the ability
>>to specify that a file can only be accessed using a program from a given
>>program list [*neat*; I couldn't think of a normal use for SUID programs
>>under embos given that!].)

[guardfile stuff deleted]

>This is off the subject of unix internals, but Burroughs had a lot of the
>elements in place for an 'object-oriented' file system clear back in the
>early '70s.  If we're going to talk about where we'd like unix to go, there
>are previous successful experiances to guide us.

Eeek!  The reason I love unix so much is because it's simple.  Start
adding security `features' like this, and things start getting
complex.  ACL's are nice, but generally groups are sufficient (given a
good group managment system, though).

Rik.
--
Rik Harris - edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au           | Build a system that
new address!  rik@sola.fcit.monash.edu.au             | even a fool can use,

From: Leslie Mikesell <les@chinet.chi.il.us>
Date: 11 Dec 90 20:36:32 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

From: Rik Harris <edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>
Date: 13 Dec 90 15:51:48 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@sem.brl.mil

 Fagan) writes:

>>I prefer the control you get from a proper implementation of ACL's.  See
>>Elxsi's EMBOS for an example.  (Normal ACL's, an extension of Unix's rwx
>>philosophy, with users and groups; passwords for files [I forget whether
>>different users could have different passwords; I think so], and the ability
>>to specify that a file can only be accessed using a program from a given
>>program list [*neat*; I couldn't think of a normal use for SUID programs
>>under embos given that!].)

[guardfile stuff deleted]

mail-support%cernvax.cern.ch@pucc.princeton.edu (12/17/90)

Your message to <@DxMINT.cern.ch:OLAVI%13411.decnet.CERN@CERNVAX.BITNET> could
 not be delivered.
The error message was:

Deferred: %MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error openning as output

This message is equivalent to the DECnet-VAX error message:

 -SYSTEM-F-EXDISKQUOTA, disk quota exceeded

The reason why your message could not be delivered is caused by the fact that
your correspondants account has ran out of diskquota. Please contact your
correspondant (by phone or otherwise) and tell him about this problem.

====== The start of Your original message ======

"Paul de Bra says:"

 writes:
> >I have an application that needs to send/receive stuff from a serial port in
> >an async. manner. I know that Unix's tip forks a seperate processes for
 sending
> >and receiving chars...
>
> Look at the source for kermit (public domain).
> As far as i know it does everything with only one process.

	As far as I know, kermit does fork an extra process for copying
characters back to the terminal while conversing with the other end.  When
kermit is doing a transfer, it needs to know the answers, and, I believe,
kills the other process.  This is based on what I remember of VERY old
source code for kermit (It was about three or four source files then), and
on seeing two kermits when doing a ps while kermit was running on another
terminal.

	At kermit's present size, I just look at enough code to get it
working on whatever system I'm using at the moment.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564