[comp.unix.internals] Unix Feuds

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/13/90)

[]

I suppose this is the best newsgroup for this nonsense. . .

I recently picked up a copy of that wonderful "UNIX FEUDS" poster handed
out by UniTech at the recent Sun User's Group conference in San Jose.

For the uninformed, the poster depicts two clashing medieval armies,
swords drawn, shields held high, fighting out Unix standards. One army
is for Osf and the other is UI. Standing in the middle is a wizard
trying to pull a sword out of a stone, and caught in front of him and
between the armies is a hapless user, ready to be done in. Well, the
poster is full of unix puns. In  the background one guy is hitting
someone else over the head with a pipe. Someone else has a boot hanging
off of their sword. However, there are a few I can't quite figure out,
perhaps some more enlightened individual will have the answers.

Behind the wizard is a deamon holding a fork. Two people, clearly
in pain are under his spell, one is biting his hand. What does this
mean?

At the base of the stone are two rats, one whispering into the ear
of the other (possibly symbolizing security violations?). Next to
the rats is a shell chained to the stone.

In the sky are 5 geese flying left to right.

On the horizon is a small church.

I'm sure that there are more subtle puns beyond my comprehension, but
any light would be helpful.

Anyway, the poster is destined to become a real classic. Get one if
you can.

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (12/19/90)

:
[...]
Our version is slightly different - the demon is hidden by the sleeve
of the wizard.  Still,  daemon and fork should be plainly obvious.
:
:At the base of the stone are two rats, one whispering into the ear

They're mice - get it?

:of the other (possibly symbolizing security violations?). Next to
:the rats is a shell chained to the stone.  The meaning of the shell
is obvious,  chain less so.
:
:In the sky are 5 geese flying left to right.

They're migrating.
:
:On the horizon is a small church.
:
In ours it is a small castle with an X-window.  In front of it is a
Trojan horse.

There's also a man mounting or unmounting from a horse - shields
embossed with bells (for AT&T),  another emblazoned with a SUN,  and a
third marked xopen split by a file.  There are trees and branches,  an
executioner wearing a mask,  a scroll,  a cat peeking from behind the
stone,  the soldiers are wearing mail,  and a worm crawling out of an
apple.

The symbols I haven't figured out are the key on the wizard's ring and
the stranged scalloped shaped emblem on his hat.

I was also surprised that they missed one simple,  obvious pun - a
net.

--
Dan Mercer
NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services

In article <790@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
>The symbols I haven't figured out are the key on the wizard's ring and
>the stranged scalloped shaped emblem on his hat.

I haven't seen the poster, but the scalloped shape emblem sounds like a
shell.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com