[comp.unix.internals] European help on DES export controls

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/02/91)

bs@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Bernhard Schneck) wrote:
>           As I understand the current situation I could FTP it if IP
> routing were via InterEUNet, but it would violate US export
> regulations if I use our default routing.
>
> Is this (can this be) correct ????

Yes, this is correct.  I strongly encourage you to complain to the
U.S. Goverment about this (see below).

One of the best things that Europeans or Asians can do for cryptography
is to send a letter to the address below, telling them that DES is
widely available in your part of the world.   Mention how you got a
copy, and/or how many people that you personally know who have copies,
and/or how many copies you have distributed.  The Office of Munitions
Control claims that export controls on DES prevent people outside the
US from getting it.  They use this to justify the continuation of controls.
We need specific testimony (letters) showing them that this is simply untrue.

Here is the right people to complain to.  With their help, I think
we can eliminate this bullshit regulation.

	Bill Clements
	Office of Technology and Policy Analysis
	Bureau of Export Administration
	US Department of Commerce
	Room 4069-A
	14th & Constitution Avenues, NW
	Washington, DC  20230

A copy to Larry Christensen in the General Counsel's Office, Room 3327,
would help.  I explained a bunch of things about encryption and export,
and how it is in the real world to Larry, and his response was "Your
government needs to know this stuff!".  (I know for non-Amurricans, it
isn't *your* goverment, but *my* government needs to know this stuff!)

The Commerce Dept. is trying to wrest control of crypto export away from
the State Department (Office of Munitions Control), but they need support.
If they can wave a hundred letters showing how available DES really is
outside the States, it will make a big difference.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu        gnu@toad.com
Just say no to thugs.  The ones who lock up innocent drug users come to mind.