[comp.unix.internals] Is it "grep'

ieca006@discg1 (william crosby) (01/05/91)

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. A friend of mine told me there are three words
in the english language that end in the letters 'gry'. I immediately came
up with angry and hungry. I've seen on the net where people use a command
and a wild card to find out different groups of words. I tried using grep
but I don't understand how to do it. It would be greatly appreciated if
someone could tell me exactly how to do it.

Thanks, Bill

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (01/06/91)

Well, my unabridged word list reveals "aggry", "ahungry", "anhungry"
and "unangry" but you can decide how many of those qualify as "words".

the command you want is:

	% grep -i 'gry$' wordfile

to be safest.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

spotter@eve.wright.edu (Sh'r'ldana) (01/06/91)

In article <5638@discg1> ieca006@discg1 (william crosby) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I hope someone can help me. A friend of mine told me there are three words
>in the english language that end in the letters 'gry'. I immediately came
>up with angry and hungry. I've seen on the net where people use a command
>and a wild card to find out different groups of words. I tried using grep
>but I don't understand how to do it. It would be greatly appreciated if
>someone could tell me exactly how to do it.

Well, I used:
grep gry /usr/dict/*
and got:
/usr/dict/words: gryphon
/usr/dict/words: angry
/usr/dict/words: hungry

>Thanks, Bill
Steve

--
anagram@desire.wright.edu | "Tough times demand tough hearts, demand tough
spotter@eve.wright.edu    |  thoughts, demand tough songs,
			  |  Demand!" -Rush
<Std.Dsc> WSU doesn't approve of anything I do, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

In article <BZS.91Jan5125331@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>Well, my unabridged word list reveals "aggry", "ahungry", "anhungry"
>and "unangry" but you can decide how many of those qualify as "words".

Aggry is not in my dictionary, so it doesn't count.  Ahungry, anhungry, and
unangry are all derivatives of hungry and angry, so they don't count.

>the command you want is:
>
>	% grep -i 'gry$' wordfile
>
>to be safest.
Why be safe?  This isn't something that is important, so why not take the easy
road.
% grep gry wordfile.....

steve

--

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (01/06/91)

In article <5638@discg1> ieca006@discg1 (william crosby) writes:
|I hope someone can help me. A friend of mine told me there are three words
|in the english language that end in the letters 'gry'. I immediately came
|up with angry and hungry. I've seen on the net where people use a command
|and a wild card to find out different groups of words. I tried using grep
|but I don't understand how to do it. It would be greatly appreciated if
|someone could tell me exactly how to do it.

I used ``egrep "^.*gry$" /usr/dict/words'' but only came up with angry
and hungry.  /usr/dict/words must not contain the third.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	jtc@wimsey.bc.ca, ...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc

dichter@soleil.sps.mot.com (Carl Dichter) (01/08/91)

On bsd UNIX the spelling lists are usally at /usr/dict/words.

They can be searched with grep, like this:
	grep -i gry /usr/dict/words

Or, if you know how a word starts you can use "look", which searches
a sorted list and if not given a list to search, defaults to the
spelling list also. If we want to find words that started with "gry",
we would use:
	look gry

Another way to find words ending with "gry", and not worry about
where the list is, would be to use grep and look together. For
example:
	look . | grep -i "gry$"

The spelling lists on System 5 UNIX are hashed, and therefore
impossible to search with a partial word. The speller does it by pairing
the word with common beginnings and endings.

Hope this helps.

Carl R. Dichter
Staff Software Engineer/Scientist
Motorola ASIC Division
Email: dichter@soleil.sps.mot.com

ronnie@mindcraft.com (Ronnie Kon) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan05.191552.31649@eve.wright.edu> spotter@eve.wright.edu (Sh'r'ldana) writes:
>In article <BZS.91Jan5125331@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>
>>Well, my unabridged word list reveals "aggry", "ahungry", "anhungry"
>>and "unangry" but you can decide how many of those qualify as "words".
>>
>Aggry is not in my dictionary, so it doesn't count.  Ahungry, anhungry, and
>unangry are all derivatives of hungry and angry, so they don't count.

	This topic really had precious little to do with UNIX internals in the
first place, and has degenerated down to something not even remotely connected.
If people are really concerned about words ending in "gry," rec.puzzles seems
a much more appropriate forum.  Questions about how a command works ought to
receive responses of RTFM and be left at that.

				Ronnie
Ronnie B. Kon                    |  "I don't know about your brain, but
kon@groundfog.stanford.edu       |  mine is really bossy."
...!{decwrl,ames}!mindcrf!ronnie |               -- Laurie Anderson

badger@neutrino.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Wayne H. Badger) (01/08/91)

The third word that ends in "gry" is "gry."  I don't know what it
means, but that's the answer.  This has come up before.

>The spelling lists on System 5 UNIX are hashed,

So are the spelling lists in V7/BSD; it's just that the source code for the
spelling lists is mostly in "/usr/dict/words" in V7/BSD, while it's in a
file in the "spell" source directory in S5 and doesn't appear in
"/usr/dict/words".

frank@grep.co.uk (Frank Wales) (01/09/91)

 (Sh'r'ldana) writes:
>In article <BZS.91Jan5125331@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein)
>writes:
>>
>>Well, my unabridged word list reveals "aggry", "ahungry", "anhungry"
>>and "unangry" but you can decide how many of those qualify as "words".
>>
>Aggry is not in my dictionary, so it doesn't count.

Aggry is in my dictionary (Chambers 20th Century), so you don't count.  :-)
[aggri,aggry: adj. applied to ancient West African variegated glass beads.]
--
Frank Wales, Grep Limited,             [frank@grep.co.uk<->uunet!grep!frank]
Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, LEEDS, UK, LS19 7LX. (+44) 532 500303

dnichols@uunet.uu.net (DoN Nichols) (01/09/91)

"m.yamin says:"

	[Interesting info about 'gry' deleted]

> I suspect that most readers of this newsgroup don't care a gry
> about all this and might "gry, With threatfull sound" as in the
> 1594 citation, if this comes up again.  And people who don't know
> how to use "grep", which is what started this nonsense, should,
> as has been suggested, RTFM.

	Well, yes --- BUT not everyone who has a computer with "grep" HAS a
copy of TFM.  (Those who got the AT&T Unix-PC with just the foundation set
and no development set have NO documentation on how to use the utilities
which come with their machine.  If they are poking around the menus and
point to a text file and click the mouse, they get dumped into ED, and there
isn't a hint of documentation for ED anywhere in the foundation set
manuals.  (They seem to have assumed that everyone was going to stay with
applications which knew how to work with the objects pointed to, rather than
work at the shell command line.)

	Of course, there is the question of what is such a user doing
posting to THIS group.  He'd probably get RTFM'ed even in 'unix-pc.general'
:-)

	Thank goodness that AT&T supplied reasonable unix documentation with
the development set - and of course no one I know would want to use the
machine without the devloment set - AND a large helping of net goodies.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

andrew@alice.att.com (Andrew Hume) (01/10/91)

~
~ I hope someone can help me. A friend of mine told me there are three words
~ in the english language that end in the letters 'gry'. I immediately came
~ up with angry and hungry. I've seen on the net where people use a command
~ and a wild card to find out different groups of words. I tried using grep
~ but I don't understand how to do it. It would be greatly appreciated if
~ someone could tell me exactly how to do it.
~
~ Thanks, Bill

	yes, it is grep. The command is

grep 'gry$' dictionary

I ran this on our dictionaries and I believe the correct answer is two
(angry and hungry) and not three. If you want to be exotic, the Second
Edition of the Mirriam-Webster New Internation Dictionaty (unabridged)
yields the following words:

web2:aggry
web2:ahungry
web2:angry
web2:anhungry
web2:hungry
web2:unangry

andrew@alice.att.com (Andrew Hume) (01/11/91)

	just to rub salt into teh wound and settle this nonsense
once and for all (a vain hope); the oed (at least the first edition)
yields the following words ending in gry:
A-hungry
Aggry
An-hungry
Angry
Begry
Conyngry
Gry
Higry pigry
Hungry
Meagry
Menagry
Nangry
Podagry
Skugry
Unangry

you pick which ones you like and you look up what they mean.