[comp.unix.internals] How to reply a uucp mail?

tik@eceyv.ncsu.edu (01/06/91)

Although I have used UNIX for years, I never know how to send or reply
an email by UUCP until this hits me the other day.  The problem is that
I have this friend who has no way to access Internet. The only way he
can contact me is thru the UUCP.  Can some of you unix wizard tell me
how can I reply a mail which has this form of addr:
		user@node.uucp     or
		company!user@cs.university.edu

Thanx a lot,

ps. Please reply to tik@eceyv.nscu.edu. I seldom read this newsgroup,
    since I am not an unix wizard.

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/15/91)

sagemma@eos.ncsu.edu (STEVEN ANTHONY GEMMA) writes:

>I am having the same problem.  It must be our system here at NCSU,
>because I've never had the problem anywhere else I've tried from.
>If some kind soul would send me the answer, too, it would be greatly
>appreciated.  A friend of mine told me to try this form:

>ccicpg!cci632!sjfc!username@uunet.uu.net

	If I might rephrase your problem, mail which reached your system
via a UUCP channel contains a header or return address information which
can't be recognized by your user interface. Alternatively, your mail
transfer agent is unable to transform a specific address into a form
recognizable by UUCP.

	The proposed construct shown above is not universally recognized,
and even where legal contains at least TWO potential routings, viz:
1) Go to site sjfc via ccicpg and ccit32, and from there follow any recognized
route to uunet.uu.net; 2) Follow any recognized route to uunet.uu.net, and
from there route to sjfc via ccicpg and cci632. FXmail's sdaemon and
alternative rmail support the latter approach. Yet more complex hackerisms
are supported in some implementations.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech