[comp.unix.internals] Where is c.u.wizards ?

chris@alderan.uucp (Christoph Splittgerber) (01/11/91)

I asked this a couple of weeks ago but have not seen any replies;
so here I go again:
What about comp.unix.wizards ? I thought that c.u.i is goind to be
renamed. Or did I miss something ?

        Chris
Replies-To:  chris@alderan.uucp        UUCP: uunet!mcsun!unido!alderan!chris
Phone:       +49 711 344375            Fax:  +49 711 3460684

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (01/12/91)

In article <280@alderan.uucp> chris@alderan.uucp (Christoph Splittgerber) writes:
>I asked this a couple of weeks ago but have not seen any replies;
>so here I go again:
>What about comp.unix.wizards ? I thought that c.u.i is goind to be
>renamed. Or did I miss something ?

This is one reason to follow the meta-discussions that take place
in news.groups:  there was some dispute about the desired effect
of the vote I held.  While the Call For Votes said unambiguously
that comp.unix.internals was to be removed, the meta-voters in
news.groups generally wanted to keep the group.

I did send out newgroup/rmgroup messages, but the site that was my
newsfeed was experiencing system problems and I guess the control
articles died in the wind.

Some sites rewrite aliased group names.  uunet and B News 2.11 have
been mentioned as doing this.  Since comp.unix.wizards was aliased
to comp.unix.internals, some articles in comp.unix.internals might
have been originally posted to comp.unix.wizards.  For instance, I
cross-posted this article to both groups (followups to news.groups).

Laird Heal                  Usenet - the ultimate chain letter.
laird@chinet.chi.il.us
--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long Live the Usenet!

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan12.042415.4892@chinet.chi.il.us> laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
>I did send out newgroup/rmgroup messages, but the site that was my
>newsfeed was experiencing system problems and I guess the control
>articles died in the wind.

Would you please re-issue the newgroup message for comp.unix.wizards?
It never made it here.  Also, DO NOT rmgroup comp.unix.internals as
that is what is causing all the furor.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (01/13/91)

 laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:

>This is one reason to follow the meta-discussions that take place
>in news.groups: [reason follows]

	Good to see there's one - other than improving your reading
skills by browsing all those zillions of pointless censorship/biff/etc
flames. Therein is the main fallacy of this pseudo-democratic approach
to "running" USENET: those whose opinions we're intersted in hearing
don't waste their time with news.groups, either. Some of them maybe
*used* to read c.u.w., but I'm sure the reorganization, subsequent
flame wars, and the endless repetitive jargon file discussions have
probably taken care of that.

	How do we start a call for discussion about pitching the whole
groups voting procedure, and returning to anarchy, letting each site
determine its propagation policy based on the law of the jungle?

mjr, aristocrat.
--
	Selling tomorrow's software today is on a par with selling junk bonds,
yet people are willing to buy it. Barnum was understating his case.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/17/91)

According to mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum):
> How do we start a call for discussion about pitching the whole
>groups voting procedure, and returning to anarchy, letting each site
>determine its propagation policy based on the law of the jungle?

"There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
       "If Usenet exists, then what is its mailing address?"  -- me

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/17/91)

According to laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal):
>While the Call For Votes said unambiguously that comp.unix.internals
>was to be removed, the meta-voters in news.groups generally wanted to
>keep the group.

Well, Laird, that's what you get for making up your own voting
procedure: not everyone is willing to play along.