[comp.unix.internals] biff y

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (01/19/91)

In article <15841@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> salantel@wsqtb9.crd.ge.com (E. L. Salant) writes:
>I recently switched from working on an xterm to a regular workstation and found
>that I can no longer do a biff y.  (I get a message saying /dev/ttyp1: Not
>owner).  Apparently biff can only be turned on in the login window, which
>was possible on the xterm, but apparently impossible on the console (since it
>would have to be done from the session manager window).
>	Does anyone out there have a fix to this?

I don't follow what you mean by "regular" workstation.

The reason it's giving you messages like "/dev/ttyp1: Not owner" is because
some window managers (like sunview) don't change the owner of your tty to
"you" -- they keep it as root. You need to own the tty to turn "biffing"
on and off. If you make biff y when you are on console (i.e no window
manager up yet) then all mail notices appear on your "Console" sunview
window.

The "console" window you see in sunview or X is actually not /dev/console,
but another tty which has redirected all i/o from /dev/console to it.
(usually /dev/ttyp0). You can't change biff y or biff n at will in your
"Console" window once you have up sunview, because the "Console" is really
/dev/ttyp0, which again, root owns.

SO, the solution to your problem is either to use a different window
manager, or stick biff y in your .login. (if you always want biff y).

			-Kartik

--
internet# find . -name core -exec cat {} \; |& tee /dev/tty*
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet