[comp.unix.internals] How do I configure a SLIP connection

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan22.204505.26234@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> ken@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Sallenger) writes:
>In article <1046@lclark.UUCP> dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>
>=> ... setting up a SLIP connection
>=> between it and a Xylogics AnnexIIe terminal server to connect to
>=> our campus ethernet.
>
>=> I tried:
>=> # slattach /dev/tty00 9600
>=> # ifconfig tty00 inet lclark annex31
>
>Both commands look good.  The kernel config is probably at fault.
>These commands can be put in /etc/rc.local when you get it working.

Okay, so I'm trying to run SL/IP on my Ultrix 4.1 system using DEC's
unsupported version of SL/IP (based on cslip).  I've gotten the modified
code from their support center and I've modified it to work with PSInet.

However, I can't seem to shut the connection down properly.  If I do a
kill -HUP on slattach, it just exists.  Subsequent attempts to executed
ifconfig sl0 <> <> <> give me destination address error messages.

It there a graceful way of shutting down a SL/IP connection to allow UUCP
traffic to flow?

Thanks

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)