[comp.unix.internals] Question:Books on Unix

alan@tkna.uucp (Alan Light) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan24.072226.16356@bradley.bradley.edu> data@buhub (Mark Hall) writes:
>In article <11425@darkstar.ucsc.edu> googol@ucscb.ucsc.edu (60778000) writes:
>>
>>Hi! Could anyone recommend some books on Unix related to the following
>>topics: Unix Kernel, Shell Programming, Unix Utilities . Is there
>>any single book that talks about all these topics ? thanks.
>
>I would also recomment the "Tricks of the Unix Masters".  It discusses some
>things about the Kernel, and delves fairly deeply into Shell Scripting.
>--
Another excellent book is "UNIX Network Programming", published by prentice-hall.  (The author's name escapes me).

The title is a little misleading, a good chunk of the book is spend giving a
lot of detail on general UNIX concepts apart from networking.

/-\ |_ /-\ |\|    Alan Light    uunet!tkna!alan
                  Telekurs (North America), Inc.
                  New York, NY.

boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au (Boyd Roberts) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan23.212953.22973@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> heron@mars.UUCP (Vance Heron) writes:

>For Shell programming and utilities, I can reccomend "Tricks of the Unix
>Masters" put out by the Waite group.

But does it say anything about ken's juggling?

Boyd Roberts			boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''

azar@morpho.UUCP (Jim Van Horn) (02/01/91)

Since we're on the subject of books...
Anyone read _UNIX_System_Architecture_ by Prabhat K. Andleigh
(Prentice Hall)? What's its focus?  How does it compare to,
say, Bach?

Inquiring minds want to know.
--
	-=-	=-=	-=-	=-=	-=-	=-=	-=-
-Jim Van Horn	uunet!amc-gw!morpho!azar

	      "Where it falls mandrakes grow.
	That's why they shriek when you pull them up"

jim@anacom1.UUCP (Jim Bacon) (02/03/91)

In article <460@morpho.UUCP> azar@apart.UUCP (Jim Van Horn) writes:
>Since we're on the subject of books...
>Anyone read _UNIX_System_Architecture_ by Prabhat K. Andleigh
>(Prentice Hall)? What's its focus?  How does it compare to,
>say, Bach?

I might as well finish the job of putting my foot into my mouth. :-)

I did a hasty review of both books before deciding to spend the extra
buck for Bach.  Andleigh appeared to be less specific than Bach.  Bear
in mind that even Bach could not be as specific as I would have liked
due to the restricted nature of UNIX(tm) source. You could look at
Andleigh as UNIX 101 and Bach as UNIX 301 (IMHO).

I will probably pick up Andeigh in the future if only to have a
relatively complete library for myself and my co-workers.

--
Jim Bacon                                  | "A computer's attention span is
Anacom General Corp., CA                   |  only as long as its power cord."

sf@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (raymond.v.sandfoss) (02/06/91)

In article <876@anacom1.UUCP: jim@anacom1.UUCP (Jim Bacon) writes:
:In article <460@morpho.UUCP: azar@apart.UUCP (Jim Van Horn) writes:
::Since we're on the subject of books...
::Anyone read _UNIX_System_Architecture_ by Prabhat K. Andleigh
::(Prentice Hall)? What's its focus?  How does it compare to,
::say, Bach?
:I will probably pick up Andeigh in the future if only to have a
:relatively complete library for myself and my co-workers.

I couldn't take Andleigh's book seriously after noticing that "Architecture"
was misspelled on the title pages.