[comp.unix.internals] Freedom to speak

d87-man@sm.luth.se (Mikael Adolfsson) (02/06/91)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?

Why would anyone want to reserve a newsgroup for a minority group of
people? What's the point in restricting the use of usenet? To me that
sounds like censorship, I hate censorship. Everyone should be granted
the right to express themselves.

Am I right or are you wrong ?-)

--
Mikael Adolfsson            # d87-man@sm.luth.se
University of Lulea, Sweden # ...{uunet,mcsun}!sunic!sm.luth.se!d87-man

bush@prg.ox.ac.uk (Mark Bush) (02/07/91)

In article <1426@tau.sm.luth.se> d87-man@sm.luth.se (Mikael Adolfsson) writes:

> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> >I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?
>
> Why would anyone want to reserve a newsgroup for a minority group of
> people? What's the point in restricting the use of usenet? To me that
> sounds like censorship, I hate censorship. Everyone should be granted
> the right to express themselves.
>
> Am I right or are you wrong ?-)

This is not censorship.  The way I read Doug's statement was:

This newsgroup is seen as a forum of expert knowledge.  People who
send in questions do so in the knowledge that many wizardly types will
read them and, hopefully, provide useful and *valid* information.

Those who don't *know* the answer should *not* post suggestions that
they are not really sure about.  Such misinformation can sometimes
lead to disasterous consequences.  This is particulary true of
newsgroups such as c.u.i and c.u.w.

Let's keep the information here at a suitable standard.

Mark

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (02/08/91)

In article <1426@tau.sm.luth.se>, Mikael Adolfsson writes:
> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> >I thought this group was going to be reserved for wizards!?

> Why would anyone want to reserve a newsgroup for a minority group of
> people? What's the point in restricting the use of usenet? To me that
> sounds like censorship, I hate censorship. Everyone should be granted
> the right to express themselves.

It's not censorship.  It's a call for temperance.  Censorship is
imposed from without.  Temperance comes from within.

--
[Erik Naggum]					     <enag@ifi.uio.no>
Naggum Software, Oslo, Norway			   <erik@naggum.uu.no>