[comp.unix.internals] Streams for any file descriptor.

geoffg@sigma21.oz.au (Geoffrey R Graham) (02/13/91)

In the thread "Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem" Michael Kandall
(kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com) wrote:

>In SVR4's enhanced STREAMS, I believe you can
>push STREAMS onto arbitrary file descriptors.

Can anyone confirm this? (Michael was not sure).  If it is true then all
sorts of interesting things become possible.  For example an application
could push a compression module to automatically compress it's disk
files and other applications could access the data by pushing the same
module.  Other possibilities include an encryption module, EBCDIC
module, etc.

Geoff
--
Geoff Graham
Sigma Data Corporation                                   geoffg@sigma21.oz.au

rock@cbnews.att.com (Y. Rock Lee) (02/14/91)

In article <1007@sigmawa.oz> geoffg@sigma21.oz.au writes:
>In the thread "Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem" Michael Kandall
>(kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com) wrote:
>
>>In SVR4's enhanced STREAMS, I believe you can
>>push STREAMS onto arbitrary file descriptors.
>
>Can anyone confirm this? (Michael was not sure).  If it is true then all

No, you can only do Streams operations on a Streams device,
not on any device/file.

Y. Rock Lee, att!cblph!rock
             rock@cblph.ATT.COM

mburg@unix386.Convergent.COM (Mike Burg) (02/15/91)

In article <1007@sigmawa.oz>, geoffg@sigma21.oz.au (Geoffrey R Graham) writes:
> In the thread "Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem" Michael Kandall
> (kandall@sgitokyo.nsg.sgi.com) wrote:
>
> >In SVR4's enhanced STREAMS, I believe you can
> >push STREAMS onto arbitrary file descriptors.
>
> Can anyone confirm this? (Michael was not sure).  If it is true then all
> sorts of interesting things become possible.
[Rest of text deleted]

In a nutshell - no, you can't. HOWEVER, pipes are now Streams based and
you CAN push streams modules on them.

There was (is) some group/person/university/company that produced a
file system model that was stream-liked base. I think this was the interface
between the FS and the device drivers. I don't think the model included
the interface between the FS and user programs.
--
Michael Burg -  Unisys/Convergent Corp.  Unix Intel Platforms Division San Jose