[comp.unix.internals] Source for Unix???

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (02/08/91)

In article <7496@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> theseus@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (David E Reed) writes:
>Where can one find UNIX source code? I am aware that
>in the past, UNIX was freely distributed to colleges and universities.
>But then AT&T copyrighted it and I have asked several people around here
>and no one knows where to find the source.  ...

Sheesh.  Johns Hopkins holds some UNIX source licenses, through 7th
Edition UNIX at least, and if you were to talk to somebody COMPETENT
there you should be able to find the distribution magtapes etc.
If you agree to abide by JHU's licensing constraints, perhaps they
will even let you look at the code.

UNIX was never "freely" distributed; licensing was always required.
The fee was fairly low in the "good old days", but never free.
Copyright has nothing to do with it.  UNIX source code is protected
primarily under "trade secret" provisions, and the reason for
licensing was to have legal recourse to keep recipients from losing
control over who got access to the code.

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (02/09/91)

>UNIX was never "freely" distributed; licensing was always required.
>The fee was fairly low in the "good old days", but never free.

V6, $60, full source, 9-track magtape.

Included the tape and a printed copy of the manual. Heck, I can't get
free software that cheap anymore. Heck heck, yer lucky if you can buy
a book about some free software package for that much these days...
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Jeff Wandling) (02/10/91)

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>>UNIX was never "freely" distributed; licensing was always required.
>>The fee was fairly low in the "good old days", but never free.

>V6, $60, full source, 9-track magtape.

>Included the tape and a printed copy of the manual. Heck, I can't get
>free software that cheap anymore. Heck heck, yer lucky if you can buy
>a book about some free software package for that much these days...
>--
>        -Barry Shein

>Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs
>Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD

What would it take to get a copy of the source as just described?

--
jeff wandling | western washington university | inet: jeff@arthur.cs.wwu.edu
cs ugrad      | bellingham, wa 98225 USA      |  n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu

bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.202455.29275@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n8743196@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Jeff Wandling) writes:
>bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>V6, $60, full source, 9-track magtape.
>
>What would it take to get a copy of the source as just described?

First, you get a PDP-7, then...

				--Blair
				  "I know where they's one..."

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (02/10/91)

>>>V6, $60, full source, 9-track magtape.
>>
>>What would it take to get a copy of the source as just described?
>
>First, you get a PDP-7, then...

Oh c'mon, V6 ran on a PDP-11. It even required the "later" models
(11/34 and above), although there was a hacked version which ran fine
on non-MMU PDP-11's (we ran that on a PDP11/10 and later the LSI-11.)

I guess that was Mel Ferantz's "Mini-Unix", swapped all of user memory
on every context switch and did pseudo-pipes via disk files (tho they
looked the same to the user.) And we thought it was the best thing
since sliced bread!
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

>What would it take to get a copy of the source as just described?

1) a PDP-11, if you actually want to *run* it.

2) perhaps some amount of time on the phone to AT&T's (or USL's?)
   licensing arm, 1) explaining what V6 is to them and 2) finding out if
   they still license it (which they may not).

3) finding somebody who has a V6 tape, if AT&T no longer has one....

I don't know how much Minix source costs, but if you basically just want
to look at the innards of an OS, that might be a better way to go.  Some
parts of the V6 innards still remain in many modern UNIX systems, so it
may not be a complete waste (Minix differs internally from most existing
UNIX systems; as I remember, it's more message-based).  Minix is, I
think, more V7-flavored in its programmer's interface, so it's quite a
bit closer to modern UNIXes in that regard than is V6.

jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) (02/11/91)

In article <BZS.91Feb8110144@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>V6, $60, full source, 9-track magtape.

It cost Rand Corporation $20,000.

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (02/11/91)

From: guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris)
>>Oh c'mon, V6 ran on a PDP-11. It even required the "later" models
>>(11/34 and above),
>
>Above, numerically speaking, I assume. :-)  (I.e., it ran on the 11/40,
>which came out before the 11/34 even though it had a higher number.)  As
>you indirectly note, it mainly required an MMU.

Guy scolds me only because he gave me my first copy of Unix back in
(1976?) So he has this kind of seniority hangup (:-) :-))

[Bell had sent it to us on 9 track tape and we needed it on an RK05,
and we both worked for harvard, so it was all legit, we paid our $60!]
--

tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.221134.10074@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>
>> 2) perhaps some amount of time on the phone to AT&T's (or USL's?)
>>    licensing arm, 1) explaining what V6 is to them and 2) finding out if
>>    they still license it (which they may not).
>
>They don't.  And yes, they do know what V6 is.  I tried to get a local
>university library to get a copy of Lions, he referred us to AT&T who
>had bought it, and they said (paraphrased):

	There is a company called "Whitesmiths Ltd" that distributed a
	Unix V6 look a like with source. They also sold a C complier
	with source as well.

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                        | Intergraph Corporation
UUCP:     ...uunet!ingr!tensmekl	| One Madison Industrial Park

jbm@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Jeffrey Mulligan) (02/13/91)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:

>So, for many people, the only way of getting V6 is to drag out that
>10th generation ripped off photocopy of Lions (you know who you are :-)
>and type the lot in :-)

And of course that still leaves the sticky issue of all of the
programs from sections 1 and 8.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@eos.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 262-2, Moffett Field CA, 94035

gill@boris.mscs.mu.edu (Vijay Gill) (02/13/91)

I am also looking for some Unix (tm) source code.  I looked around, read
magazines, read comp.os.minix etc. and today in Dr. Dobbs Journal, read
about a port of BSD 4.3 (tahoe) to the 386.  This is supposed to be free
from AT&T code, thus if you pass the Berkeley Licence conditions, you can
get the entire source code, including Kernel code.  You must keep the
Berekeley notices intact.  The article in question is in Dr. Dobbs, Jan '91.
Also, Prentice-Hall sells Andrew S. Tanenbaum's Minix V 1.5.10 for $169.
This includes complete source code and gcc has been hacked to run on it.
It is supposed to be comletely V7 compatible.  It is also "free" and updates
are regularly posted on comp.os.minix.
    The 386BSD unix seems to be a good idea.  Anyone in the know, please
update with more specific details, and if any mistakes have been made, please
correct.

cheers
-dicky gill (Violator)
-gill@boris.mscs.mu.edu

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb11.221134.10074@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>
>> 2) perhaps some amount of time on the phone to AT&T's (or USL's?)
>>    licensing arm, 1) explaining what V6 is to them and 2) finding out if
>>    they still license it (which they may not).
>
>They don't.  And yes, they do know what V6 is.  I tried to get a local
>university library to get a copy of Lions, he referred us to AT&T who
>had bought it, and they said (paraphrased):

I can't believe that a library would allow someone to purchase their only
copy of a reference book.  Isn't there a code of ethics which prevents
something like this?  Surely there is a library out there with a copy.
Would the Library of Congress in Washington DC have copies?

I have to admit that I have looked in several university libraries with
absolutely no success.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

goudreau@larrybud.rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (02/15/91)

In article <6191@segue.segue.com>, jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
> In article <BZS.91Feb8110144@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
> >V6, $60, full source, 9-track magtape.
>
> It cost Rand Corporation $20,000.

Yes, so what?  Barry was talking about the cost to educational
institutions, which was extremely low at the time.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
62 Alexander Drive			...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb13.185300.28927@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:

| >They don't.  And yes, they do know what V6 is.  I tried to get a local
| >university library to get a copy of Lions, he referred us to AT&T who
| >had bought it, and they said (paraphrased):
|
| I can't believe that a library would allow someone to purchase their only
| copy of a reference book.  Isn't there a code of ethics which prevents
| something like this?  Surely there is a library out there with a copy.
| Would the Library of Congress in Washington DC have copies?

If they [Library of Congress] do, they would be bound legally by the
same constraints anybody else is.  Mainly, because the book contained
the source code to V6 [a trade secret held by AT&T], you were required
to have a valid V6 license to obtain the book.  The reasoning is the
same as for other restricted works, such as atomic bomb plans.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

bhoughto@hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (02/19/91)

Note:  except that it discusses peripherally the source of
the source of unix internals, this has nothing to do with
UNIX(TM).  Group-charter purists please hit 'n' and save
yourselves the trouble.  There's nothing you can tell me
about appropriateness of postings that I haven't already
dismissed as illogic and hypocrisy, anyway.  "Trust me, I
know what I'm doing." (Sledge Hammer; every episode.)

In article <MEISSNER.91Feb17165413@curley.osf.org> meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
>If they [Library of Congress] do, they would be bound legally by the
>same constraints anybody else is.  Mainly, because the book contained
>the source code to V6 [a trade secret held by AT&T], you were required
>to have a valid V6 license to obtain the book.  The reasoning is the
>same as for other restricted works, such as atomic bomb plans.

Atomic bomb plans are kept secret under DoD security
classifications.  Non-DISCO industrial security has nothing
to do with the government aside from laws that prosecute
industrial spies.  But then, AT&T could probably get SysIII
classified, if they asked nicely enough :-).

If AT&T had copyrighted the V6 code, then anyone could copy
and distribute it, after paying a reasonable royalty, and
anyone with a legally made and transferred copy could pass
that one copy around to everyone on the planet.  The same
is true if AT&T had patented the code.

The purpose of copyrights and patents is to promote
*disclosure*:  the government protects the individual's
right to profit from his intellectual property in return
for having the information disseminated freely (if not "for
free") to the general public.  If there were no copyright
or patent systems, then science would necessarily be a
matter of developing all things from first principals (or
joining the right industrial cartel :-( ).

Now, if Lions had printed the V6 code without license from
AT&T (not necessarily a possession-and-use license, which
is one of the unfortunate debacles of the history of
commercial software, but truly a copying license, which
allows them to copyright the book that contains the code),
then they're a valid target for any manner of legal
action.  Whether the Library of Congress is required to
sequester their copies of bootlegged material I do not
know.

From what I've seen, if AT&T was forced to "buy-up" all
copies of the book, then it's a fair bet Lions had a
license to copy it, and then the Library of Congress is
required by law to obtain one and provide that version to
the public, forever.  (Congressmen are, after all, in the
public, but Joe Voter is permitted to take a look.)  If
AT&T bought that copy back, as well, and it's a copyrighted
work of Lions', then somebody has likely violated the law.
(Patents and copyrights are not retractible.  They may be
rescinded, but that's a recission of the protections, not
the disclosure requirements, except of course on parts not
yet disclosed).

				--Blair
				  "Guess who almost joined up
				   at the Patent office...I may
				   yet seek a JD..."

P.S.
    In the US of A it is legal to patent and license
(often for exhorbitant fees) inventions that, when freely
distributed, save countless lives.  Most other nations are
not hampered by this sort of antisocial capitalism.  They
require companies to patent safety-inventions, and to grant
*free* licenses to anyone who wishes to use or produce them.

    Germany is one of them.

    So, when Werner von Engineerschaft, the Director of
Whateverkraft at Mercedes-Benz, grins grandfatherly at the
guy off-camera and bleats, "veef nefer enforced de patent,"
about MB's energy-absorbing-body-design techniques, you
can take smoldering comfort in the knowledge that he's
telling a big, profitable half-truth.  I usually just
shout, "because it's BLEEDING ILLEGAL for you to DO SO,
you DISSEMBLING WHORE!" at the TV...