[comp.unix.internals] Funky cpio options

hugh@fivegl.co.nz (Hugh Grierson) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb12.043341.29652@athena.mit.edu> scs@adam.mit.edu writes:
>In article <CLARK.91Feb11160645@discord.cme.nist.gov> clark@cme.nist.gov (Steve Clark) writes:
>>cd $HOME
>>echo ./subdir/hugedir | tar cX - .
>>Is this not portable?
>This will probably spark a big "cat -v considered harmful"
>flamefest, but I'll opine that adding this tar X option wasn't
>very worthwhile.
>I don't know how widespread -T is (or that third option I can't
>remember).  I see that BSD tar has neither -T nor -X.

[apologies if someone else has mentioned this - the propogation delay
 to this corner of the net is very long indeed]

The SVR4 cpio supports tar format.
(and does it automatically on reads)

    find . -my -favourite -find -options | cpio -ov -Htar > dot.tar

To test it yourself...

Try:
    find . -print | cpio -o -Htar | tar -tvf -
or:
    tar -cf - | cpio -itv

[btw: I recall seeing a tar somewhere else using -F for the file-list file,
(and of course -F - for stdin).]

--
Hugh Grierson     hugh@fivegl.co.nz | Perfection is attained not when there is
5GL International Ltd,              | no more that can be added, but when there