[comp.unix.internals] How to read v6 distribution tapes?

dmr@alice.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) (02/14/91)

Roy Smith wondered about how to look at v6, which exist on tape as
RK05 disk images.  Here's how we do it.  It's instructive of
something--I'm not sure quite what, but it makes an interesting demo,
and it is a useful way to keep these archives.

We transferred the disk images to big single files.  Norman Wilson
wrote a file server that understands the v6 disk format (512-byte disk
blocks, 32-byte inodes, 16-bit disk addresses).  Thus we can mount
this disk image as a file system and poke around in it.

Incidentally, we still have a few vax 11/750s, with the pdp-11
compatibility feature.  So, from such a machine I can do

	cd /n/bowell/usr/src/history/v6/bin/bin   # move to v6 /bin
	compat sh				  # start v6 shell

and get a `%' prompt.  These commands change to a directory on another
machine, which contains an interpreted Sixth Edition file system, and
run the Sixth Edition shell.  Many of the commands there work.  E.g.

  % ./size sh
  4992+880+1408=7280 (16160)
  % ./date
  Thu Feb 14 00:46:32 EST 1991
  % ./dc
  10k2vp
  1.4142135623

Doing this induces a somewhat creepy feeling.

	Dennis Ritchie
	dmr@research.att.com
	att!research!dmr

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (02/15/91)

We did not (yet) receive the parent article, so I do not know what the
exact question was, but ...

In article <11872@alice.att.com> dmr@alice.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) writes:
 > Roy Smith wondered about how to look at v6, which exist on tape as
 > RK05 disk images.  Here's how we do it.  It's instructive of
 > something--I'm not sure quite what, but it makes an interesting demo,
 > and it is a useful way to keep these archives.
What I did do a long time ago was to write a program that would look at the
disk image on file and convert it to a complete directory structure.  The
trick is to find inode #2 and start from there.  I do not know, but perhaps,
if I look long enough in my archives,  the program might even be sitting
somewhere.

 > We transferred the disk images to big single files.  Norman Wilson
 > wrote a file server that understands the v6 disk format (512-byte disk
 > blocks, 32-byte inodes, 16-bit disk addresses).  Thus we can mount
 > this disk image as a file system and poke around in it.
This is of course far superior.
dik@cwi.nl

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (02/19/91)

In article <2945@charon.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
>What I did do a long time ago was to write a program that would look at the
>disk image on file and convert it to a complete directory structure.  The
>trick is to find inode #2 and start from there.  I do not know, but perhaps,
>if I look long enough in my archives,  the program might even be sitting
>somewhere.

The v7 and v6 filesystems are very different.  While the v7 filesystem
has been described at great length in literature, I've never seen anything
describing the v6 filesystem in any published document that can be repeated
without violating licensing agreements.

For example, the root inode in a v6 filesystem is inode 1 ...
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.