[comp.unix.internals] Unix Manual Section Six?

(I tend not to think of "mille", say, as part of UNIX's internals;
followups redirected to "comp.unix.misc".)

 >Section 6 used to contain games.
 >
 >AT&T dropped section 6 from their UNIX manuals sometime after SVR2.?;
 >probably with SVR3.0 . None of my SVR3 manuals have it.

They also dropped the games themselves, alas....

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Feb28.173947.14613@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>	Actually, section 6 is traditionally games.  It still is in the
>4.3BSD manuals you can get from Usenix.  GOK what the suits have done to
>the manuals shipped with commercial versions of Unix.

I understand that AT&T has removed them from their system.  The people
I worked with on AIX v3 at IBM were very insistent on keeping as many
of the games as possible, including a few which required bug fixes to
the code when we were supposed to be working on more important things ...

Many of the games programs, such as fortune, are such a part of UNIX
that I can scarcely imagine anyone actually removing them.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org