[comp.unix.internals] Shared Libraries: Unique to Suns??

cjc@ulysses.att.com (Chris Calabrese) (03/22/91)

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
|sane@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane):
|| I would like to know if shared libraries are a SunOs feature
|| or are available on most flavors of Unix (BSD, SysV)?
|
|System V has shared libraries, but you have to design your libraries for them
|--- they are *not* trivial to set up.  I know little about the SunOS
|implementation, but it looks rather easier to use.
|
|(Has this been addressed in SVR4?)

sVr4 has both sVr3 and SunOS style shared libraries.  It is assumed
that the SunOS style ones will be the standard, but I don't know of
any plans to get rid of the older ones.  On the other hand, I'm
neither a sVr4 guru nor a shared lib guru.

Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
att!ulysses!cjc		cjc@ulysses.att.com
Obligatory Quote:	``pher - gr. vb. to schlep.  phospher - to schlep light.philosopher - to schlep thoughts.''

>sVr4 has both sVr3 and SunOS style shared libraries.  It is assumed
>that the SunOS style ones will be the standard,

Yes, given that the S5R4 ABI's all depend on dynamic linking to
SunOS-style shared libraries....

>but I don't know of any plans to get rid of the older ones.

In order run binaries linked with them, presumably.