[comp.unix.internals] Password Pipe

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (03/28/91)

In article <JIK.91Mar27232213@pit-manager.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  It is a sad comment on what comp.unix.wizards has become that when
>someone posts a message to the newsgroup asking a question that is
>specifically answered in the comp.unix.questions FAQ posting, three
>people post responses that are less correct than the FAQ's answer (not
>quite "wrong," but definitely sub-obtimal) and that don't even mention
>the fact that the FAQ answers the question.

No, it's worse than that.  Did you notice that your posting went to
comp.unix.internals?  Yes, there is still much confusion in USENET
land about where comp.unix.wizards and comp.unix.internals go.  It
is quite possible that the FAQ (which I've not seen posted in weeks
either) is getting lost between the various systems which have
different ideas about what is what.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

In article <19127@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
   No, it's worse than that.  Did you notice that your posting went to
   comp.unix.internals?  Yes, there is still much confusion in USENET
   land about where comp.unix.wizards and comp.unix.internals go.

The problem is that there are a few sites that still haven't unaliased
comp.unix.wizards -> comp.unix.internals.  Furthermore, some versions
of news (I believe B news is one of them, but I'm not certain) don't
just move messages into a different newsgroup in response to aliases
-- they actually munge the header of the message before passing it to
their downstream sites, something which is completely inappropriate.

The last time I saw a message that I know was posted to
comp.unix.wizards end up in comp.unix.internals, I took the path of the
message and sent mail to "usenet" at every site in the path, asking
them to please turn off aliasing if they have it enabled and make
comp.unix.wizards a valid group.  I got no responses, and I don't know
if the people I reached did anything about it, but perhaps you might
do the same thing with my previous message if it ended up in
comp.unix.internals at your site, because I know I posted it to
comp.unix.wizards (and that's where it is at my site).  If other
people do this when they notice articles that were posted in
comp.unix.wizards and migrated because if incorrect aliasing, perhaps
the admins with the bad aliases will get enough mail that they will be
encouraged to fix things.

   It
   is quite possible that the FAQ (which I've not seen posted in weeks
   either) is getting lost between the various systems which have
   different ideas about what is what.

The FAQ is only posted to comp.unix.questions, and has only been
posted there since the reorganization of the comp.unix groups.  This
is because if Steve Hayman tried to post it everywhere it's relevant,
it would have to go in questions, internals, programmer, shell, admin,
wizards and possibly others.

Perhaps now that wizards is a valid group again, Steve should start
cross-posting the FAQ to it.  But that sort of leaves the other groups
out in the cold.  Perhaps it should continue to be posted in c.u.q
only, and people should know to check for it there.  Or perhaps it
should be cross-posted to all the groups that resulted from the
reorganization.  I don't know, it's a tough call.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710