[comp.unix.internals] BSD tty security, part 4: What You Can Look F

ender@husc8.harvard.edu (Matthew Ender) (05/03/91)

In article <19171@uudell.dell.com> sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) writes:
>Ed Carp sez:
>
>|> Yes, but FooBar Co. (as you yourself have stated) just doesn't have any interest There's NO WAY that you're going to
>|> get all vendors to distribute fixes, let alone distribute them FOR FREE.
>
>While I agree with several posters, SOME companies DO CARE, and
>do insure that fixes get distributed. Size of the company,
>&/or any arguments about the customer bas is ILLOGICAL. If the

ILLLOGICAL, hmm?  It's not exactly illogical, Ed gave a basis for his
belief that many companies would rather not bother with fixing bugs.
You, in return, use the 'poisoning the well' argument -- 'any argument
my opponent makes is not logically based, so I should win the debate.'

>then that's his choice. But the vendors who DO DISTRIBUTE SECURITY
>fixes will be remembered, in things such as customer loyalty!!
>
>The small 1 or even 2 time cost of the fix, regardless of media
>to achieve *satisfaction* of being "supported right" will always
>far outweigh the minor cost associated with distribution. The
>possibilities of legal action in lawyer costs substantiate this!!
>
>That will be a decisive factor, as wel become more and more 'lectronic !!!!!

Maybe.  I've remembered getting a bugfix version of the program
(albeit under warranty).  Always gave me a good feeling about the
software.  But the argument Ed used still holds:  what if vendors
decide the User Satisfaction (TM) isn't going to happen or isn't worth
the effort?  Even as wel [sic] become more 'lectronic [sic] (!!!!!)?

-- Matt