[comp.unix.internals] MMU managment allocation/deallocation/swapping

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (05/10/91)

The BSD vm_* code I have is set up for at most a two level MMU
scheme. Does anyone have any any ideas for a 3 level version. In
particular, page table entry allocation, saving the contexts to swap
disks. The examples I have introduce a segment table featurette to
handle the two level system. It seems by extension, a second segment
table idea is needed for a 3 level MMU scheme.

For particular CPU's two level version is for 68030, three level is
for 68040. The '40 has a fixed 3 level table structure. The '30
could have up to 5 levels but for the implementations I have, the
level was fixed at 2.

--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (05/11/91)

In article <19196@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:
>The BSD vm_* code I have is set up for at most a two level MMU
>scheme. Does anyone have any any ideas for a 3 level version.

A: get the Utah HP-BSD distribution and look at the 68030 support, or
B: wait for 4.4BSD.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov