[comp.unix.internals] system calls comparison document?

iain@norisc.UUCP (Iain Lea) (05/03/91)

I am in the process of doing a comparision between different versions
of Unix at the system and function call level.

I am looking for a simple table of the form

| Call        | Unix 1 | Unix 2 | Unix 3 |
| fopen       |   x    |   x    |    x   |
| gethostname |   x    |        |        |
|             |        |        |        |
     etc...

Does anyone know where I can get a list in troff, tex or just plain
ascii format that compares any of the following Unixs against one
another:

  BSD4.2
  BSD4.3
  Version 7
  Xenix 386
  Sys5R2
  Sys5R3
  Sys5R4
  Posix

If I get any info I will post a summary and the finished text.

Thanx

Iain

--
EMAIL  iain@norisc.uucp  !unido!estevax!norisc!iain
SNAIL  Siemens AG, AUT 922C, Postfach 4848, Germany

rbj@uunet.uu.net (Root Boy Jim) (05/18/91)

In article <84@norisc.UUCP> iain@norisc.UUCP (Iain Lea) writes:
>I am in the process of doing a comparision between different versions
>of Unix at the system and function call level.

Digital Review, January 85 has a comparison of system calls and
library routines (all clumped together; it is not clear when one
stops being one and starts being the other).

The systems listed are Ultrix-32 (some variarion of 4.2 BSD),
Ultrix-11 (smaller version of same), Pro/Venix (for Rainbow?)
System V (R2?) and System III. A newer version may be available.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane