[comp.unix.internals] SVR4 HDB uucp G protocol and file recovery

nms@jvd.msk.su (Nickolay Saukh) (05/24/91)

Dear gurus!!!
Does anybody has description of G protocol (as implemented in SVR4)?
I want some info on file recovery in this uucp also.

Thanks
--
Nickolay Saukh <nms@jvd.msk.su> | Speaking from but not for JV Dialogue

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May23.185355.13890@jvd.msk.su> nms@jvd.msk.su (Nickolay Saukh) writes:
>Dear gurus!!!
>Does anybody has description of G protocol (as implemented in SVR4)?
>I want some info on file recovery in this uucp also.

	For your information:

	There IS a full document describing the g protocol in one of the
	unix archives. I believe G protocol is just g protocol with
	some of the packet paramaters and window size configurable from
	a file in /etc/uucp. I believe packet size and window size are
	what the G protocol lets you specify in a config file.

	If you post a question about the g protocol document someone
	may have the archive name and/or mail it to you.

	File recovery with G is the same a g, they are the same protocol
	it's just that g's parameters are hardcoded into the binary and
	G can read them from a UUCP config file. Basically, UUCP deletes
	the file after it's been successfully transfered and keeps it
	till it has been sucessfully transfered.

	You might also check out the UUCP book from O'Reilly and Associates,
	it has alot of info on UUCP and how to set it up, maintain and
	use it. Send email to nutts@ora.com for info on all the O'Reilly
	and Associates UNIX help books.

		Good luck,

			-Rob
--

Rob Healey                                          rhealey@digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)

greg@cheers.Bungi.COM (Greg Onufer) (05/27/91)

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

>In article <1991May23.185355.13890@jvd.msk.su> nms@jvd.msk.su writes:
>>Does anybody has description of G protocol (as implemented in SVR4)?
>>I want some info on file recovery in this uucp also.

>	File recovery with G is the same a g, they are the same protocol
>	it's just that g's parameters are hardcoded into the binary and
>	G can read them from a UUCP config file. Basically, UUCP deletes
>	the file after it's been successfully transfered and keeps it
>	till it has been sucessfully transfered.

S5R4 UUCP also has the ability to restart failed transfers.  This feature,
called Checkpointing (?), saves the data that was received properly and
the next time a connection is made, notifies the other end that x-bytes
were already received, start from there.  This may be very helpful when
transferring multi-megabyte files!  I don't have any details on the
implementation, but if anybody does, let me know!

Cheers!greg