[comp.unix.internals] millisecond timer

jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) (06/12/91)

     I have a Sun Sparcstation running SunOs 4.0.3. I need to
be able to produce timestamps with 1 millisecond granularity.
Getitimer and setitimer don't cut it. The best I can manage with
them is about 10 millisecond granularity. I need some
advice.

                                       Jerry Freedman,Jr

ps I am having problems postin so if this is a repeat then
I apologize.

rcondamo@digi.lonestar.org (Ravi Condamoor) (06/13/91)

this is a test

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun11.173751.25189@linus.mitre.org> jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org
(Freedman) writes:
>     I have a Sun Sparcstation running SunOs 4.0.3. I need to
>be able to produce timestamps with 1 millisecond granularity.

The SparcStation has a microsecond timer, and I thought SunOS brought
it out in gettimeofday().  Their scheduling resolution is still 10 ms,
though.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (06/22/91)

Chris Torek writes:
> In article <1991Jun11.173751.25189@linus.mitre.org> jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org
> (Freedman) writes:
> >     I have a Sun Sparcstation running SunOs 4.0.3. I need to
> >be able to produce timestamps with 1 millisecond granularity.
>
> The SparcStation has a microsecond timer, and I thought SunOS brought
> it out in gettimeofday().  Their scheduling resolution is still 10 ms,
> though.

SunOS 4.0's gettimeofday() (really uniqtime()) did not take advantage
of the microsecond clock; I think the first release that did was 4.1.
But unfortunately, only for the 4/60 and 4/330. (I remember hacking up
a binary patch to make it work with a 4/65.) By 4.1.1, the code was
fixed to check for any Sun4c as well as the two Sun4's which have it
(the 4/330 and 4/470).

		Craig