[comp.unix.xenix.sco] problems with ungetty

sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug27.174719.6701@tree.uucp> jcg@tree.uucp (Chris Gonnerman) writes:

>We are running XENIX System V and are having extensive problems with out
>dial-in/dial-out port also.

What XENIX version??

>We have a line in Devices that looks like:
>
>ACU tty3A - 1200-2400 /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA24

>The port is enabled as usual.  After some (but not all) uucp dial-outs,
>the port will "hang" in one or both of these ways:
>
>- modem not returned to ATS0=1 (won't autoanswer)
>- getty won't respond after connection

[ stuff about upgrade deleted ]

Xenix has a strange feature in that it allows /etc/getty to restart
modem lines using the dialer from the Devices file. If you read
between the lines in the docs (and squint really hard), you begin to
see that each time /etc/getty goes to restart a line, it checks to see
if that line is referenced in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices. If it is, getty
will grab the first dialer entry it finds and *reinitialize* the modem
so it will be ready to connect another call.

One problem: You likely reference the wrong speed.

Since the port gets disabled during dialout, your getty speed is
irrelevant (from inittab and ttys). What *is* relevant, is that
/etc/getty saw your Devices entry (above) and set your modem up for a
1200-baud connection. No wonder you can't talk to it!

We had the same problem here for a long time. I fixed it by putting:

RESET tty1A - 2400 dialHA24

at the TOP of Devices (getty grabs the first one it finds for that line).

--
Sean Fulton    						      uunet!utoday!sean
Unix Today!