[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Renaming filesystems/partitions

sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) (08/30/90)

Yesterday I did an install of Xenix 2.3 on a 150M hard drive and
decided afterward I had mixed up the partitions. Basically, I added
things up, and it turned out that my /usr/spool partition was about
the size I wanted my /u partition to be, and /u was about the size I
wanted /usr/spool to be. These were named spool (mounted on
/usr/spool) and u (mounted on /u).

So, I renamed the /dev files (both b and c), yet when the filesystems
come up, I still get messages like:

WARNING: Mounted <u> on </usr/spool> ...

There doesn't seem to be any functional difference that I've noted,
but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
the partitions short of doing another install?

--
Sean Fulton    						      uunet!utoday!sean
Unix Today!

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain/32767) (08/31/90)

In article <1793@utoday.UUCP> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
>There doesn't seem to be any functional difference that I've noted,
>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>the partitions short of doing another install?

Will fdisk allow you to rename them?

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM         tif@doorstop, sc30661@ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (09/01/90)

sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:

>Yesterday I did an install of Xenix 2.3 on a 150M hard drive and
>decided afterward I had mixed up the partitions. Basically, I added
>things up, and it turned out that my /usr/spool partition was about
>the size I wanted my /u partition to be, and /u was about the size I
>wanted /usr/spool to be. These were named spool (mounted on
>/usr/spool) and u (mounted on /u).

>So, I renamed the /dev files (both b and c), yet when the filesystems
>come up, I still get messages like:

>WARNING: Mounted <u> on </usr/spool> ...

>There doesn't seem to be any functional difference that I've noted,
>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>the partitions short of doing another install?

Use DIVVY:

	divvy -c 1 -b 1

One of the options is to change the name of a partition.  That is, there
are lots of things that you can change about each partition (name, start,
end, file system, new).  You want to change ONLY the name.  This will not
mess up any file systems you currently have, but will change the label
associated with that partition.  Then you won't get those nasty messages
any longer.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) (09/01/90)

In article <3315@awdprime.UUCP> tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain/32767) writes:
>In article <1793@utoday.UUCP> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
---
>>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>>the partitions short of doing another install?
>
>Will fdisk allow you to rename them?

I missed the original posting (having just subscibed) so the original
question is guessed at.

Have you looked at the command __labelit__??  At least on SysVR3.2 it is
described as providing a means of name filesystems on disk or tape(for
backups).  I do not expect this would work to name an fdisk partition,
but fdisk will usually give you a listing with the type (UNIX, DOS, XENIX
etc.) so it may not be necessary.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (09/01/90)

In article <1793@utoday.UUCP> sean@utoday.UUCP (Sean Fulton) writes:
>Yesterday I did an install of Xenix 2.3 on a 150M hard drive and
>decided afterward I had mixed up the partitions. Basically, I added
>things up, and it turned out that my /usr/spool partition was about
>the size I wanted my /u partition to be, and /u was about the size I
>wanted /usr/spool to be. These were named spool (mounted on
>/usr/spool) and u (mounted on /u).
>
>So, I renamed the /dev files (both b and c), yet when the filesystems
>come up, I still get messages like:
>
>WARNING: Mounted <u> on </usr/spool> ...

Most likely you didn't make the relative changes req'd in
/etc/default/filesys .

>There doesn't seem to be any functional difference that I've noted,
>but the naming could cause some problems. Any idea how to truly rename
>the partitions short of doing another install?

I'd suggest doing a	man divvy
  and a			man mkfs

(note that if you do a mkfs, you will wipe out all data in that
 filesystem and will have to restore from tape).  You will also
 have to do a "mkdev fs" unless you wish to create the mount
 point and lost+found dirs by hand as well as editing
 /etc/default/filesys and /etc/checklist yourself.  It's not
 all that difficult, you should just RTFM *before* you start.
		:-)

The last time I made the mistake you did (choosing the wrong
f/s name), I simply edited /etc/default/filesys to have things
mounted where I did want them and left it at that.  Not eloquent,
but much simpler, knowing full well that in a few months I'll
likely remake everything on a still-larger drive all over again.

>Sean Fulton    			      uunet!utoday!sean

  Ed. A. Hew      SCO Authorized Instructor      XeniTec Consulting Services
  edhew@xenitec.on.ca  | ..!{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!edhew   |  (519) 570-9848
	   (sco.opendesktop newsgroup <=> mlist gateway maintainer)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (09/01/90)

Welcome to "Hit That F Key" ... the game where people contend for
fabulous prizes.

And here is our first question...

> WARNING: Mounted <u> on </usr/spool> ...
> Any idea how to truly rename the partitions short of doing another install?

OK...hit that F key!

> Will fdisk allow you to rename them?

*Brapzht*  No, anybody else.

> Have you looked at the command __labelit__??

*Brapzht*  Oh, I'm sorry wrong operating system.

> Use DIVVY:

*Brapzht*  No, that's incorrect.

> I'd suggest doing a man divvy and a man mkfs

*Brapzht*  No, anybody else?

Anybody?

*Ding*

Times up!  The correct answer is "fsname", although the judges would
have accepted "dd" too.

*Whoop Whoop*

Well, I guess time is up once again.  We have a fabulous home version of
the game for all our fabulous contestants.  So, until next time, just
remember:  Don't read the manual!  Don't do it by mail!  Just Hit That F
Key!

Goodbye everybody.

--
Chip Rosenthal  <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260