[comp.unix.xenix.sco] BSD versions of Xenix

sean@unix.cis.pitt.edu ( ) (09/08/90)

Hey all, is there B.S.D. version of Xenix out there?  Is there some other
B.S.D. Unix for the IBM PC?  Does anyone know what the difference is between
SCO Xenix and SCO Unix?  As some has pointed out to me, since SunOS is B.S.D.
and Xenix is SysV, developing on a Sun Sparcstation and porting to a Xenix
system might be more effort than its worth, so I'd like to explore any
BSD alternatives.

Sean Owens
sean@unix.cis.pitt.edu

mjohn@bank..citib (Michael Johnston) (09/08/90)

In article <36129@unix.cis.pitt.edu> sean@unix.cis.pitt.edu ( ) writes:

>Hey all, is there B.S.D. version of Xenix out there?  Is there some other
>B.S.D. Unix for the IBM PC?  Does anyone know what the difference is between
>SCO Xenix and SCO Unix?  As some has pointed out to me, since SunOS is B.S.D.
>and Xenix is SysV, developing on a Sun Sparcstation and porting to a Xenix
>system might be more effort than its worth, so I'd like to explore any
>BSD alternatives.

Huh?

--
Michael R. Johnston, Mgr.           Internet: mjohn@citib.com
USCPG , Treasury Systems            UUCP: uunet!uupsi!bank!mjohn

dvv@hq.demos.su (Dmitry V. Volodin) (09/11/90)

In article <36129@unix.cis.pitt.edu> sean@unix.cis.pitt.edu ( ) writes:

>Hey all, is there B.S.D. version of Xenix out there?  Is there some other
>B.S.D. Unix for the IBM PC?  Does anyone know what the difference is between
>SCO Xenix and SCO Unix?  As some has pointed out to me, since SunOS is B.S.D.
>and Xenix is SysV, developing on a Sun Sparcstation and porting to a Xenix
>system might be more effort than its worth, so I'd like to explore any
>BSD alternatives.
>
>Sean Owens
>sean@unix.cis.pitt.edu

You won't beleive it, but we've ported 2.9BSD onto XT.
But, the porting saga is not (and never will be) finished.

--
Dmitry V. Volodin                   |