[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Esix vs Sco

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (09/12/90)

Something has been hounding me for weeks. It is those Esix ads, comparing
themselves with Sco, and how they blow them away. For such a great price,
my question is,

	What is *wrong* with the Esix package?
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

cws@janus.Quotron.com (Craig W. Shaver) (09/14/90)

In article <201642@hrc.UUCP>, dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
> Something has been hounding me for weeks. It is those Esix ads, comparing
> themselves with Sco, and how they blow them away. For such a great price,
> my question is,
>
> 	What is *wrong* with the Esix package?
> --

I do not think anything is wrong with the Esix package.  I have tested Esix
rev. B, C, and D on my system and like it very much.  The installation and
some of the admin are not as good as the straight Xenix but are workable
after some practice.  I want to see it get kicked around a little more
before recommending it to business users and clients without much computer
experience.  I have also looked at ISC 2.2 on the same machine and do not
like it at all.  For developers you will find that the include files are
messed up, and they are no better than Esix for installation and sysadm.

Right now for customers I want to stick with Xenix 386 (not the unix one)
and am looking forward to SysV.4.  It had better be cheap or I will
stay with what is currently being used.

Craig W. Shaver

part time consultant for Productivity Systems 213-396-7195 - and -
Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: hacgate!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig@tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |

staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) (09/14/90)

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>	What is *wrong* with the Esix package?

I don't know what, IF anything - but definitely NOT the Everex Corp.
itself!  Never had business with a nicer bunch of guys.  I have
one of their MNP-5 modems, bought in the States, and their phone
support is just great.  They even went the distance of sending me
an upgrade ROM *free of charge* to see if it would fix the modem's
only problem, connecting with an HST Dual Standard on very noisy
lines (i.e. the usual grade of phone lines in Italy :-(....).

--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) staff@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex@am.sublink.org