[net.ham-radio] W5LFL

rjr@mgweed.UUCP (Bob Roehrig) (11/29/83)

According to my calculations, Hams in the Midwest can work W5LFL at the
following times:

DATE	FROM (CST) TO		ORBIT

WED 30	11:10 AM   11:25 AM	34A
FRI 02	 6:35 PM    6:55 PM	71D
SUN 04   8:55 AM    9:23 AM	97A
MON 05   8:42 AM    9:05 AM	113A
TUE 06   8:29 AM    8:50 AM	129A
TUE 06   4:18 PM    4:48 PM	134D

W5LFL will transmit on even minutes, listen on odd minutes.

W5LFL will transmit on 145.55 (145.53, and 145.57 backup).

W5LFL will listen on 144.91/93/95/97/ 145.01/03/05/07/09.
	(one of the above at a time)

Give his call once at the beginning of an odd minute and repeat
your call several times.

Bob, K9EUI

wheatley@inuxc.UUCP (11/30/83)

Talked to the ARRL after this noons flyby, and I am told that the antenna
is not oriented to favor ground communications, nor will it be for a few
more days.  Not sure quite what this means, but they felt that signals heard
would be weak copy.  At any rate, about 4 or 5 carloads of hams here
listened, and a few of us thought we heard something, although VERY
weak.  could be some local pranksters, however.

Anyone have any further information....ANYONE HEAR W5LFL???

Steve Wheatley
KU9C  inuxc!wheatley

wheatley@inuxc.UUCP (12/01/83)

I just listened to the ARRL Shuttle Hotline (203-666-0688) and was told
that W5LFL worked the west coast on orbit 35A, although his antenna is
NOT favorable in direction for ground communications.  The schedule,
as of 5 pm yesterday (EST WED), is as follows

WED: 40D
THUR: 49A
      56D
FRI   70D
      71D
      72D

These are orbit numbers, so he is evidently still following the original
schedule, but no mention was made of operation on orbit 34A, so I guess
us midwesterners who thought we may have heard him faintly, were fooled
by the local qrm.

Good Luck, Steve Wheatley KU9C  inuxc!wheatley

jwb@ecsvax.UUCP (12/05/83)

w5lfl heard in North Carolina 5 DEC, 8:28 am calling CQ North America, will
listen for 5 seconds.  Signal was a little weak to my mobile rig.  The scheds
I had did not list this pass for operation, so I heard him mostly through
luck.  Heard three transmissions but did not hear any calls read back.

Jack Buchanan K4FRS
Chapel Hill NC
ed

michaelk@azure.UUCP (Michael Kersenbrock) (12/07/83)

W5LFL on the shuttle "came in" very strong tonight.  He did seem to be
further east than expected.   A lot of hams (sigh) did not seem to know
better than to call him on his downlink frequency.

Mike Kersenbrock WB4IOJ
Tektronix Microcomputer Development Products
Aloha, Oregon

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/07/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.ham-radio
>From : JETSAM::SMITH
Subject: W5LFL

     W5LFL was heard at my home QTH at 8:10 AM (EST), Wed. 12/7/83. His
  signal was DFQ (full quieting) my ICOM IC-2AT handie talkie. My antenna
  was a VOCOM 3" Stubby Duck. Also, heard him while mobile at 9:35 AM (EST)
  this morning (Orbit #145). My antenna was a 1/4 mag mount on the car roof,
  and his signal was 90% quieting my IC-2AT.

							KA1VF

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!jetsam!smith

 End Forwarded Message