[comp.unix.xenix.sco] XENIX TCP/IP ... HELP!!!

kleiner@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Ken Kleiner) (09/14/90)

Hi,

	I have been trying to install SCO TCP/IP for
	Xenix and have run into some problems.  I was wondering if
	someone could help me out.

	We are running on a WYSE 386 (WY3225-01) with 16 MB of RAM,
	380 MB hard disk.  I have a 50MB root f.s., 30 MB swap and
	a /u to take up the rest.

	After TCP/IP install, the kernel is about 590K.

	Here's what happened:

	1.  Installed SCO Xenix 2.3.1
	2.  Installed SCO Streams

	3.  Installed SCO TCP/IP.  no problems at install time.

	4.  Rebooted (after kernel re-link).

	5.  When I hit CR to boot the default kernel (hd(40)xenix),
	    the system rebooted!  Meaning, it cleared the screen,
	    did the memory check, and executed /boot again.
	    Everytime I hit CR, it does this.

	    I de-installed TCP/IP, relinked the kernel leaving me with
	    just Streams.  And, everything booted fine.

	    I checked out what Streams install does to the kernel, and
	    it changes some Streams parameters.  TCP/IP ups them
	    even more.  could this be the problem?

	Have you ever experienced this?

	Thanks a bunch....

								-Ken

Ken Kleiner      <<<  {wang}{ulowell}{elrond}{decvax}!bu-tyng!kleiner  >>>
Boston University's Corporate Education Center (Computer Center)
72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879       (508) 649-9731

GO RED SOX!!!!

cliffb@cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) (09/15/90)

In article <4534@bu-tyng.bu.edu> kleiner@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Ken Kleiner) writes:

>Hi,
>
>	I have been trying to install SCO TCP/IP for
>	Xenix and have run into some problems.  I was wondering if
>	someone could help me out.
>
>	We are running on a WYSE 386 (WY3225-01) with 16 MB of RAM,
>	380 MB hard disk.  I have a 50MB root f.s., 30 MB swap and
>	a /u to take up the rest.
>
>	After TCP/IP install, the kernel is about 590K.
>
>	Here's what happened:
>

>	1.  Installed SCO Xenix 2.3.1
>	2.  Installed SCO Streams
>
>	3.  Installed SCO TCP/IP.  no problems at install time.
>
>	4.  Rebooted (after kernel re-link).
>
>	5.  When I hit CR to boot the default kernel (hd(40)xenix),
>	    the system rebooted!  Meaning, it cleared the screen,
>	    did the memory check, and executed /boot again.
>	    Everytime I hit CR, it does this.
>
>	    I de-installed TCP/IP, relinked the kernel leaving me with
>	    just Streams.  And, everything booted fine.
>
>	    I checked out what Streams install does to the kernel, and
>	    it changes some Streams parameters.  TCP/IP ups them
>	    even more.  could this be the problem?
>
>	Have you ever experienced this?
>

>	Thanks a bunch....
>

>								-Ken

>Ken Kleiner      <<<  {wang}{ulowell}{elrond}{decvax}!bu-tyng!kleiner  >>>
>Boston University's Corporate Education Center (Computer Center)
>72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879       (508) 649-9731
>
>GO RED SOX!!!!

I had this problem with SCO Xenix on my clone and went crazy til SCO admitted
there was a problem with some machines switching modes to address above 1 meg.
(The loader tries to switch to high memory and fails and since both loader and
/xenix won't fit in in 640k, it reboots.  SCO has a slow boot mod they will send
(somewhat reluctantly in my case) and I will uuencode and mail to those who have
a problem.  I assume SCO won't mind since it will only affect those who already
have Xenix.

Could someone send me mail and let me know if this gets out since I've had
problems getting from this host to the net and am not sure if it's fixed or not

Cliff

ghost@robecdc.UUCP (William Sneed) (09/19/90)

In article <4534@bu-tyng.bu.edu> kleiner@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Ken Kleiner) writes:

>Hi,
>	We are running on a WYSE 386 (WY3225-01) with 16 MB of RAM,
>	380 MB hard disk.  I have a 50MB root f.s., 30 MB swap and
>	a /u to take up the rest.
>	After TCP/IP install, the kernel is about 590K.
>	5.  When I hit CR to boot the default kernel (hd(40)xenix),
>	    the system rebooted!  Meaning, it cleared the screen,
>	    did the memory check, and executed /boot again.
>	    Everytime I hit CR, it does this.
>	Have you ever experienced this?

The infamous A20 pin rears its hoary head once more.

Solution is currently available from SCO and/or your dealer/distributor.
What you want is the fix 'xnx126' this is on-line at SCO on sosco, and
should be available from the folks who got you going.

I have it here, if it comes to that.

--
-William A. Sneed	 | All words are from me not my employer. All errors
-ghost@dc.robec.COM      | are mine, all the glory is mine, all the flames are