[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Lotus 1-2-3 on UNIX?

jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) (09/14/90)

Back in early June I caught an episode of "The Computer Chronicles", a video
news magazine kind of show on computers on public broadcasting.  There was a
little blurb about Lotus 1-2-3 being announced for UNIX by the end of the
month(July).  I haven't heard a word since.  Did I get my hopes up for nothing?

Jack Benzel
jackb@hpfcla.HP.COM

betz@marob.masa.com (Tom Betz) (09/16/90)

Quoth jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) in <15030019@hpfinote.HP.COM>:
|Back in early June I caught an episode of "The Computer Chronicles", a video
|news magazine kind of show on computers on public broadcasting.  There was a
|little blurb about Lotus 1-2-3 being announced for UNIX by the end of the
|month(July).  I haven't heard a word since.  Did I get my hopes up for nothing?

It's available from several sources.  I was quoted $1025 for a
ten-user license and one set of docs.  It's supposed to be the
equivalent of the MS-DOS Version 3.

--
-----------------------------------------------------| hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz
"Ever since the fateful day when Al heard about      |

timsb@adspp.uucp (Tim S. Boshart) (09/16/90)

In article <15030019@hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:
}Back in early June I caught an episode of "The Computer Chronicles", a video
}news magazine kind of show on computers on public broadcasting.  There was a
}little blurb about Lotus 1-2-3 being announced for UNIX by the end of the
}month(July).  I haven't heard a word since.  Did I get my hopes up for nothing?
}

No, it is out.  I have it sitting on the shelf next to my desk.
--
  Tim S. Boshart - MicroAge/Abacus - 2707 Middlebury St. - Elkhart, IN  46516
       timsb@adspp.UUCP - uunet!rutgers!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!adspp!timsb

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (09/20/90)

In article <15030019@hpfinote.HP.COM> jackb@hpfinote.HP.COM (Jack Benzel) writes:
>Back in early June I caught an episode of "The Computer Chronicles", a video
>news magazine kind of show on computers on public broadcasting.  There was a
>little blurb about Lotus 1-2-3 being announced for UNIX by the end of the
>month(July).  I haven't heard a word since.  Did I get my hopes up for nothing?

Yes, i've played with this product.  It seems a bit buggy (seems to hang
every once in a while), but otherwise I think it can evolve into a great
product.  It is Lotus 1-2-3 release 3 compatible.  The version I used was
a single user version, but the release notes said there was also a 10
user version available.  One annoying thing is that you had to specify
one username on that system that would be using Lotus and it would only
let that one username execute the program.  One strange thing I noticed
is that the single user version let that same user run Lotus multiple
times on the console multi-screens.

The graphs worked great on my VGA screen, though I never tried using Lotus
on any terminals.

The product consisted of 6 1.2 MB disks which were packed using 'pack'.  The
product would also install on several different UNIX's from the same
distribution disks - SCO Xenix, SCO UNIX, Interactive and one other which
I can't remember at this time.  I tried it under SCO Open Desktop.

I also believe that Lotus have released 123 under SUNOS, VMS, and for
some strange IBM mainframe operating system.

Hope this helps you.

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
     - UNIX is like pickled herring - Nobody thinks it's any good -