[comp.unix.xenix.sco] uucp cores

corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) (09/14/90)

For quite some time now I have been getting the message from uucp
cores in /usr/spool/uucp, sure enough I go there and there is a
core, I rm it  and it comes back, I am not sure where the core
is coming from what is causing it or etc... Someone out there
have an idea they would like to share with me?

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) (09/16/90)

In article <2495@polari.UUCP> corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>For quite some time now I have been getting the message from uucp
>cores in /usr/spool/uucp, sure enough I go there and there is a
>core, I rm it  and it comes back, I am not sure where the core
>is coming from what is causing it or etc... Someone out there
>have an idea they would like to share with me?

	We have found an amazing feature of SCO-supplied HDB uucp:
	when uucico counts the transfer time for an empty file it
	dumps into core with "Division by zero". Enjoy!

	Generally I have no idea why it fails so often - I see
	it practically every day. Does anybody know is HDB sources
	available? If yes where can I obtain it to make it to work
	properly?

	Vadim Antonov,
	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
	(It is NOT a joke!)

bill@twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (09/17/90)

In <2495@polari.UUCP> corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:

<For quite some time now I have been getting the message from uucp
<cores in /usr/spool/uucp, sure enough I go there and there is a
<core, I rm it  and it comes back, I am not sure where the core
<is coming from what is causing it or etc... Someone out there
<have an idea they would like to share with me?

If you have SCO XENIX 2.3.2, then there is an upgrade available from them
"xnx(some number)", which is supposed to fix this.  I am about to install
it,  but  know  of one other site that did and they said  it  solved  the
problem.
--
Bill Irwin    -   TWG The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems

dionj@sco.COM (Dion L. Johnson) (09/19/90)

-
-	Generally I have no idea why it fails so often - I see
-	it practically every day. Does anybody know is HDB sources
-	available? If yes where can I obtain it to make it to work
-	properly?
-
-	Vadim Antonov,
-	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
-	(It is NOT a joke!)

Comrade Antonov, greetings from SCO.  If you'd be willing to settle
for a fixed HDB uucp (rather than source code), we can supply our
support supplementary distribution called "xnx129".   Please email
support@sco.com - we will need your postal mail address.  Any other
SCO customers with registered SCO products are welcome to contact
us for this fix.

Dion L. Johnson
SCO Developer Relations Technical Mgr   400 Encinal St.   Santa Cruz, CA 95061
Bangpath:            ...{decvax!microsoft, ucbvax!ucscc, sun, uunet}!sco!dionj
Domain style:  dionj@sco.com    FAX: 408-458-4227     Telephone:  408-425-7222

alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) (09/20/90)

In article <2495@polari.UUCP>, corwin@polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
> For quite some time now I have been getting the message from uucp
> cores in /usr/spool/uucp, sure enough I go there and there is a
> core, I rm it  and it comes back...

Yup. The release notes for SCO HDB uucps indicate that "uucico will
normally dump core". This is normal. In fact, the default SCO installation
includes a cron script that removes cores from /usr/spool/uucp.
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >