[comp.unix.xenix.sco] running out of inodes

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) (09/16/90)

My /u filesystem is running out of inodes with 65% storage space utilized.
How can I increase available inodes, and can I do so without reformatting
the drive? I have set inodes avail. to 350, and still get these results:

Mount Dir   Filesystem  iused	ifree	%iused
/           /dev/root 	 2474	 6230	   28%
/u          /dev/u    	17144	  184	   99%

Mount Dir   Filesystem  blocks	  used	  free	% used
/           /dev/root    69714	 64328	  5386	   92%
/u          /dev/u      138718	 88420	 50298	   64%

The /u filesystem (news, Waffle) is a 72-meg drive. I've run it for news
for 15 months without this problem, but it is now a pain in the u-no-what.

What can I do to utilize the available storage space without fouling up
the kernel's control over the filesystem? With 30 megs or thereabouts being
wasted, something's gone bump in serious fashion :-)

--
1B Systems Management Limited, Nanaimo, British Columbia | kmcvay@oneb.uucp
            Voice: 604-754-7423 | UUCP uunet!van-bc!oneb!kmcvay

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (09/17/90)

In article <221@oneb.UUCP> kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
>My /u filesystem is running out of inodes with 65% storage space utilized.
>How can I increase available inodes, and can I do so without reformatting
>the drive? I have set inodes avail. to 350, and still get these results:
                                        ^how did you "set" this ??

The number of inodes which a filesystem can have is set when the file
system is created, see mkfs(1M) in TFM.  The max number of inodes you
can have in a filesystem is 65500 (sounds like an unsigned short to me!),
of course those inodes are wasted if you have < 65500 blocks in your
filesystem.  You should set the number of inodes equal to the number
of blocks in filesystems you create.  You will have to backup your /u
filesystem to disk or tape, and use mkfs to recreate the filesystem
with more inodes.

--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/18/90)

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:

>What can I do to utilize the available storage space without fouling up
>the kernel's control over the filesystem? With 30 megs or thereabouts being
>wasted, something's gone bump in serious fashion :-)

Back it up to tape, then,

# umount /dev/u

# mkfs /dev/u numofblocksinfilesystem:65550

Then restore the tape when its done.

The :65500 indicates to the make filesystem command the number of i-nodes
you want to allocate on the filesystem. You can only have a maximum of
65500 (or something around that) per filesystem.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

In article <3315@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:

| # mkfs /dev/u numofblocksinfilesystem:65550
|
| Then restore the tape when its done.
|
| The :65500 indicates to the make filesystem command the number of i-nodes
| you want to allocate on the filesystem. You can only have a maximum of
| 65500 (or something around that) per filesystem.

  16 bits gives you values from 0..65535, which will probably work a lot
better than 65550 ;-)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX