[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Using /bin/csh for root login on SCO Unix causes improper boot

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/26/90)

bruce@bmhalh.UUCP (Bruce M. Himebaugh) writes:
> At work we have a 386 system (used for accounting) running SCO Unix.  I
> changed the shell for root (in the /etc/passwd file), from '/bin/sh' to
> '/bin/csh'.  Boy did this cause problems.  Everything works fine, until you
[tales of woe deleted]

This is a known problem that bit us, too.  SCO knows about it and it
is supposedly fixed in the next release of Unix (3.2 v1.1); for now,
the official solution is to have /bin/sh as root's shell, link
/bin/csh to /-csh, add "/" to root's path, and have the last line of
/.profile be "exec -csh".

I prefer to just create another superuser, "coot", that has csh as the
shell and log in as root that way.  This can be difficult under SCO's
C2 security, but you just need to manually edit the password database
and everything's okay.

--
Marc Unangst               | "da-DE-DA: I am sorry, the country you have
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | dialed is not in service.  Please check the