[comp.unix.xenix.sco] How Do You Solve the Multi-OS Development Nightmare?

adnan@sgtech.uucp (Adnan Yaqub) (09/26/90)

Currently I find myself involved in driver development for multiple
Unix-like operating systems for 386 boxes (PS/2, ISA, et al).  When I
produce a new version of a driver, I am obligated to test it on
several platforms to make sure it installs properly and works as
advertized.  However, around here, it is a real pain to be able to
find a "virgin" disk with the OS you need to test.

I suppose we could build up some disks just for testing, one OS per
disk, but that would still not guarantee a "fresh" OS (i.e., the guy
before you may have really hosed things up).  Also, this ties up a lot
of resources.  (I don't know about you, but we still find disks
expensive.)

An ideal situation, IMHO, would be to have a bunch of operating
systems on tape which you could dump onto a disk.  Thus, when it comes
time to test your driver with an OS, you grab the tape, run some
magical program which makes the disk "right" for the OS and blasts the
OS from tape to disk.  You then load your driver and test to your
hearts content.  I know Interactive allows you to load from tape, but
not other common OS companies.  Is any one doing this?  Do you have
any other ideas on how to solve this nightmare?

Thanks.
--
Adnan Yaqub (adnan@sgtech.uucp)
Star Gate Technologies

pf@artcom0.north.de (Peter Funk) (09/28/90)

adnan@sgtech.uucp (Adnan Yaqub) writes:

[...about installing some flavour of PC-UNIX from tape...]
ay> not other common OS companies.  Is any one doing this?  Do you have
ay> any other ideas on how to solve this nightmare?

It is our practice to install SCO Xenix from streamer cartridge tape.
We have prepared a special BOOT N1 Floppy for this purpose :
A small shell script calls 'fdisk' and 'divvy -b 1 -c 1 -i' and so on.
Afterwards the OS is installed using 'cpio -icvdumB < /dev/erct0'
from cartridge tape.

Someone, who is involved in driver development, should be able to
prepare such a shell-beast in at least one hour.  Take the original
installation shell script provided by SCO as an example.
Branding and serialization is also possible, if you need so :
you must copy the original unbranded versions of libsys.a
and getty onto the tape or else onto the prepared boot disk.

This procedure cuts the time needed for the complete OS-Installation
(including several applications as well) down to about 15 Minutes.
Using the standard floppy-disk approach is indeed a nightmare. :-)

A special hint: you need to copy 'mkdir' to the /bin directory of
the boot disk, or 'cpio' will not work otherwise. It is good
practise, to copy some other useful tools to that bootup disk
also.  The 'emergency boot disk' created by 'mkdev fd' is
nearly useless, since 'cp', 'rm', 'ls', 'rmdir'... are missing.

Just another (not so serious) question :
  How do you solve the multiple peripheral device nightmare ?
Exotic peripherals, such as an IEEE-488 coupled color photocopier
(the CANON CLC 500) or an EXAbyte SCSI tape for instance, cann't
be saved to tape ;-) and are also heavily needed during driver
development and testing.  They are also even more expensive
than harddisks... :-(
-=-
Peter Funk \\ ArtCom GmbH, Schwachhauser Heerstr. 78, D-2800 Bremen 1
Work at home: Oldenburger Str.86, D-2875 Ganderkesee 1/+49 4222 6018 (8am-6pm)
>> PLEASE Don't send BIG mails (oversea) ! I've to pay for it : $0.4/kB
   Don't use the bang path of this news article for mails (They will bounce).
   Only the address 'pf@artcom0.north.de' will work. Thank You ! <<

samc@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sam Christie) (09/28/90)

Regarding the problem of maintaining multiple OSs on limited hardware
for compatibility testing:

We are just begining in this same problem and were considering
placing each OS on a seperate optical disk cartridge.  We have purchased
a maxoptics 1.2Gbyte drive.  We have had some trouble setting the system up
and the drive definately requires cooling, but we are still hopeful.

Any thoughts on this idea ?

Sam Christie                            Standard Disclaimer Applies
Northern Telecom - DMS-10
Research Triangle Park, NC
EMAIL ...!uunet!mcnc!rti!ntpdvp1!samc
919/992-3917

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (09/29/90)

In article <2289@artcom0.north.de> pf@artcom0.north.de (Peter Funk) writes:

> Afterwards the OS is installed using 'cpio -icvdumB < /dev/erct0'
> from cartridge tape.

I prefer tar for this, so you can do the same tar tqnf $tapedev ./tmp/_lbl
trick that custom(C) does to make sure the *right* tape has been inserted.
For best results, make sure ALL your tar tapes have a ./tmp/_lbl
label on them so that the check aborts early if the wrong tape is inserted.

WHY ISN'T THE 'q' OPTION TO TAR DOCUMENTED ?  IT'S USEFUL, YOU KNOW.

Don't forget to run fixperm -c <relevant perms files> after that to make
sure that the setup is OK and to create the relevant device files.
BTW If you need to install time configure what devices need creating, an
awk script which generates a perms file is MUCH quicker than running
zillions of mknods!

> unbranded versions of libsys.a

Actually it's libmdep.a
For a complete list, you can do
	grep ser= /etc/perms/*

> Using the standard floppy-disk approach is indeed a nightmare. :-)

Agreed.  I'm dreading having to install ODT like that -- Xenix is bad
enough.  SCO do have a tape based installation media kit for ODT
but they don't seem to like selling it for some reason or other.

>  How do you solve the multiple peripheral device nightmare ?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I do have several sets of
/usr/sys/conf/{master,xenixconf,link_xenix} -- one for each possible
required driver combination, and all the possibly required .o files get
put on the tape.  Then determine during installation which is required,
copy the appropriate set into /usr/sys/conf,
	cd /usr/sys/conf
	./configure -rw
	./link_xenix
and install the new kernel.

--
   ronald@robobar.co.uk | +44 81 991 1142 (O) | +44 71 229 7741 (H) | YELL!
   "Nothing sucks like a VAX"   --   confirmed after recent radiator burst!

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (10/01/90)

How about putting a SyQuest drive on a couple of your machines?
You can then have a cartridge for each setup you wish to test
with.  Cartridges are 40 meg, and about $80.

					Tim Smith