[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Calling out on a modem...

jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) (09/28/90)

I recently became root on a 386 Xenix system with a DigiBoard
installed...   (added 8 com ports)...   They work fine as incoming
lines,  but if I try to call out on them, I either get errors, or loss
the Term Ready signal on the modem...   So comes the question...

How do I configure a port for calling out or, better yet, calling out
and receiving calls?
--
   _    ,           _   ,  jnorman@gmuvax   _jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu/
  ' )  /      /    ' ) /      (Bitnet)     // _/_ (Usenet)  _/_    /

alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) (10/01/90)

In article <2417@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) writes:
> I recently became root on a 386 Xenix system with a DigiBoard
> installed...   (added 8 com ports)...   They work fine as incoming
> lines,  but if I try to call out on them, I either get errors, or loss
> the Term Ready signal on the modem...   So comes the question...
>
> How do I configure a port for calling out or, better yet, calling out
> and receiving calls?

I have seen the same problem with a number of intelligent I/O boards. The
solution is to use the non-modem-control device for calling out. Naturally,
you need to write a script to disable the modem-control device, do the
cu, and then enable the modem-control device.

Two different serial-board mfrs have claimed that this is a "bug" in the
combination of HDB uucp and XENIX and they have no way around it.
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034       >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995       >

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (10/01/90)

In article <91@mq.COM> alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:

>Two different serial-board mfrs have claimed that this is a "bug" in the
>combination of HDB uucp and XENIX and they have no way around it.

It took a while, and help from several people, but the Arnet Smartport
under XENIX 386 2.3.2 (5.1.14 drivers) works fine with some versions of
xcmalt bidirectionally (disabling the line not required).  This is at
19.2/38.4, also.

aronb@gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) (10/02/90)

In article <91@mq.COM> alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>In article <2417@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) writes:
>> I recently became root on a 386 Xenix system with a DigiBoard
>> installed...   (added 8 com ports)...   They work fine as incoming
>> lines,  but if I try to call out on them, I either get errors, or loss
>> the Term Ready signal on the modem...   So comes the question...
>>
>> How do I configure a port for calling out or, better yet, calling out
>> and receiving calls?
>

>solution is to use the non-modem-control device for calling out. Naturally,
>you need to write a script to disable the modem-control device, do the
>cu, and then enable the modem-control device.

this will only work if you know in advance which tty will be used.  In the
case of pooled modems, you don't know in advance ( you could find out with
uustat and awk... what a kludge )

a cleaner solution is to obtain an intelligent card that supports
in/out dialing on the same port.  I know for a fact that Equinox Megaport
does this, and am told the the Specialix card will as well.  The Computone
( driver version 4.40, firmware 3.14 ) does not.  it appears that
-most- do not...based on previous discussions.

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb@gkcl.ists.c         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)392-4310             comes from the hottest fire"

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/04/90)

In article <61417@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:
>In article <91@mq.COM> alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>>
>>Two different serial-board mfrs have claimed that this is a "bug" in the
>>combination of HDB uucp and XENIX and they have no way around it.
>
>It took a while, and help from several people, but the Arnet Smartport
>under XENIX 386 2.3.2 (5.1.14 drivers) works fine with some versions of
>xcmalt bidirectionally (disabling the line not required).  This is at
>19.2/38.4, also.

Here on the net again is the "curator" of xcmalt. Which versions seem to do
what?

BTW, the last version I've sent out is 2.8.

alan@mq.com (Alan H. Mintz) (10/05/90)

In article <13261@ists.ists.ca>, aronb@gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) writes:
> In article <91@mq.COM> alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
> >solution is to use the non-modem-control device for calling out. Naturally,
> >you need to write a script to disable the modem-control device, do the
> >cu, and then enable the modem-control device.
>
> this will only work if you know in advance which tty will be used.  In the
> case of pooled modems, you don't know in advance ( you could find out with
> uustat and awk... what a kludge )
>
> a cleaner solution is to obtain an intelligent card that supports
> in/out dialing on the same port.  I know for a fact that Equinox Megaport
> does this, and am told the the Specialix card will as well.  The Computone
> ( driver version 4.40, firmware 3.14 ) does not.  it appears that
> -most- do not...based on previous discussions.

True. The Specialix card does correctly support dialin/out on the same
line, as long as you do "cu 12135551212". The part that does not work
is "cu -lttyxx dir" - DTR flashes and you get Connect with an immediate
Disconnect. Neither SCO nor Specialix know why it works for dialing a number
but not for a direct to the modem.

(Please forgive if I said this before - I think it was only in email).
--

rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) (10/06/90)

In article <13261@ists.ists.ca> aronb@gkcl.UUCP (Aron Burns) writes:
>In article <91@mq.COM> alan@mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>>In article <2417@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, jnorman@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) writes:
>>> I recently became root on a 386 Xenix system with a DigiBoard
>>> installed...   (added 8 com ports)...   They work fine as incoming
>>> lines,  but if I try to call out on them, I either get errors, or loss
>>> the Term Ready signal on the modem...   So comes the question...
>>> How do I configure a port for calling out or, better yet, calling out
>>> and receiving calls?

	OK, I'm NOT in Tech support but I do use our SCO 386 Xenix
	system which happens to use our 8 port products, amongst others.

	First, enable the modem control port, say ttyA01, in /etc/ttys.
	this should allow dialins.

	Second, edit /usr/lib/uucp/Devices to define the modem control
	device for each modem say:
	ACU ttyA01 - 2400 mt \D

	Third, set up a proper dialer script in /usr/lib/uucp/Dailers. Say:
	mt	=,-,	"" \r\pAT&e0\r\c OK ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

	NOTE: This is for a MultiTech V32 modem, your script should do
	the right thing for your particular modem.

	Add an entry similar to the below to the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file:
	biggie Any,10 ACU 2400 1234567 in:--in:--in: feedme sword: lotsOnews

	Now you should be able to cu or uucp to biggie on ttyA01.
	Logins on ttyA01 should work as well. I've dialed in and out of our
	system many times a day with a setup like above, it SHOULD work for
	you too. The above should also work on our concentrator line as well.

	Also, you should check your modem's setup VERY carefully to make sure
	all it's registers are set up properly. I know I had to putts with
	my Telebit T2500 for a while before I could get it to do the right
	thing.

	If your modem is capable of doing it, you should set
	the computer<->modem baud rate to the highest the modem can handle
	and tell the modem to use hardware flow control. This will give
	you the best throughput possible no matter what baud rate the person
	calls in at or you dial out at. Please note that you should set up
	your modem to autobaud on the incomming phone line but lock the
	computer<->modem interface at high speed.

	Finally, check to make sure the cable between the computer and
	modem is wired correctly for modem control signals.

	If you have any more problems, call Tech Support. That's why we have
	them, to help out our customers.

		-Rob Healey

		Engineering staff
		DigiBoard Inc.