[comp.unix.xenix.sco] fsanalyze

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/29/90)

Version 4.1, Patchlevel 0, is available on 'anomaly'. Part of the Makefile
is as follows:

---

## File System type - Use the first definition for derivatives of the old
## AT&T file system, including Version 7, System III, and System V
## releases 2 and 3, and XENIX.  Use the second definition for derivatives
FS = FS_ATT

## Operating system type - This definition is used for OS-dependencies within
## a given file system.  Use OS_ATT or OS_BSD if none of the other definitions
## apply.
#OS = OS_ATT
OS = OS_XENIX_286 #  (use _ATT for XENIX/386)

---

We have used these definitions, in conjuction with the 2.3.2 devsys, to
cleanly compile the program.

We can make a binary available for you to UUCP if you cannot get the program
to compile cleanly on your system.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (10/02/90)

->Version 4.1, Patchlevel 0, is available on 'anomaly'. Part of the Makefile
->is as follows:
->
->---
->
[...]

I appreciate the effort, but could you save us all some effort and note in
your archive listings software which does not compile with the SCO compiler
and requires the gnu compiler?

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

goer@quads.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (10/02/90)

In article <125@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>I appreciate the effort, but could you save us all some effort and note in
>your archive listings software which does not compile with the SCO compiler
>and requires the gnu compiler?

This would be helpful, but you might be missing a fine point here:  The GNU
compiler produces smaller, faster code, and is free for the taking.  Appar-
ently, the archive listing assumes that anyone who can install gcc will do
so, and will use it as their default compiler.

-Richard

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (10/04/90)

->In article <125@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
->>
->>I appreciate the effort, but could you save us all some effort and note in
->>your archive listings software which does not compile with the SCO compiler
->>and requires the gnu compiler?
->
->This would be helpful, but you might be missing a fine point here:  The GNU

Actually, I am trying to ignore it....

->compiler produces smaller, faster code, and is free for the taking.  Appar-

No, the gnu stuff is not free.  You just get to pay for it with non-cash
resources..

->ently, the archive listing assumes that anyone who can install gcc will do
->so, and will use it as their default compiler.

Your point is quite valid, as is the position of lots of us who don't do
that much C anymore but do want certain utlities like Elm, Fm, etc which DO
compile on the standard compiler.   If I had known the archive had the same
version I could have gotten from any of the free mail servers, I wouldn't
have spent the phone bill doing a direct uucp.

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (10/06/90)

neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:
>I appreciate the effort, but could you save us all some effort and note in
>your archive listings software which does not compile with the SCO compiler
>and requires the gnu compiler?

All software, by default, is compiled with the GNU compiler. We only use
the Devsys compiler when GNU won't work (which, to the best of my knowledge,
has been very limited...)

MD